Saturday, January 19, 2019

Best Golf of 2018!

Written on 11-30-18.

     It’s 3:31 on a Friday afternoon.  B is taking a nap in our bedroom, and I am writing in our computer room, and I can hear Kody making smacking, snorting, and chewing sounds as he enjoys one of his favorite chewy toys, his rope.  I just messaged Danielle and James.  Danielle didn’t answer, but James told me it was due to her not being in Wi-Fi.  They are going to a beer festival thing tonight.  It’s been an off and on snowy, sleety, and rainy day.  Right now, however, the sun is shining, and it’s making the most beautiful contrast with the bluish-gray clouds and tannish-brown hills.
     I just took a sip of my cold coffee, the first cup brewed with my new coffee maker, a Mr. Coffee Optimal 10-cup Brewer.  Despite the cold temp, it’s delicious.  I’ve been obsessed with coffee lately.  I was sick of the Keurig.  It was way too much effort for too little coffee.  It was messy, too, leaving small spills on our counter way too often.  Additionally, Danielle is going to be living here during her student-teaching, so we will need more coffee.  It says it brews ten cups, but they consider a cup to be five to six ounces.  That’s like a shot glass of coffee to me.  If I use the maximum amount of water, though, I can get two large cups of coffee, one for Danielle and one for me.  
     I just glanced at the Calendar App on our new larger monitor, and I see that I have...
more work to do before December begins.  I must contact my schools to rearrange dates for next month, because it looks like I’ll be working again starting on the 13th.  I have already begun the complex work of getting my new proposal going on the NMSU Vendor Portal.  I will be the guinea pig for the other coaches for this new process.  My hope is to share what I learn after I figure it all out.  
     In Time to Teach news, I started advertising for my first invitational that is coming up on January 17th, and I had the first person attempting to register call me this morning.  That was fun!  I look forward to seeing how many sign up.     

Until next time…

Written on 12-15-18.

     I did get one birdie when I played at Hidden Valley at the end of November.  I bet I started to write last time with the intention of getting that birdie in here, but I got distracted with Kody, family, coffee, and work.  It’s a Saturday, and I taught another Math NES Test Prep Workshop at San Juan College today.  Now, I’m home doing my best to clean up my office before a restful Sunday.  Part of that cleaning up included finding that scorecard from half a month ago, and it had one birdie on there.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #8-Birdie #48 of 2018             

     If I get two more birdies this year, I’ll have an even 50.  That would be cool.  I should play tomorrow and do my darnedest to get two more.  It’s been a long time since I earned this birdie, but I still remember how it happened.
I used my driver, of course, and my tee shot ended up on #7’s fairway, but it ended up only 150 yards away.  I should have used my 7-iron, but I thought with the downhill I would have enough club with my 8-iron.  I was wrong.  My ball stopped short of the green, but it was on the front with an easy chip to get it on the green and down in the bowl.  This is the old #14, and it’s the easiest hole on the entire course still.  It didn’t take much effort to chip my ball with the right speed to get it to trickle into the hole, and it did go in very slowly, but it picked up enough speed with the colder, faster greens that it went just past the hole a couple of feet.  I kept my glove on, and I didn’t even mark the ball.  I just lined it up and knocked it in.  

     There.  All caught up again.  Now, I can go play tomorrow and earn two more for my 50 birdies this year.  I hope.  

Until next time…

Written on 12-18-18.

     Hopes do come true.  I got more than 50 birdies; I got 52.  I also played my best golf of the year, shooting my lowest score for 18 holes at Hidden Valley.  I did not have a scorecard in my bag, so I kept score on my phone instead, using the Notes App.  This is what I entered there…

Number one, a bogey
Number two, a bogey
Number three, a bogey
Number four, a par!
Number five, a par*
Number six, a par*
Number seven, a par*
Number eight, a seven and a lost ball
Number nine, a bogey

Front nine; a 42

Number 10, a par
Number 11, a par*
Number 12, a birdie! Driver, sand wedge from 30 yards, downhill putt from 5 feet
Number 13, another birdie! Similar to the first, but about a 12-foot flat putt from past the hole
Number 14, a bogey
Number 15, a bogey
Number 16, another birdie! Six iron, sand wedge short from 73 yards, putt from 13 paces just off the green
Number 17, a bogey
Number 18, a final birdie! Fade driver around the corner to 122 yards, nine iron that may have lipped the hole, two putts from 12 feet uphill

Back nine: a 33!

     That’s how it happened, and I will add in some more details and the official birdie descriptions later.

No comments: