Saturday, July 20, 2019

Washington Odyssey and Hand Positions


Written on 7-14-19.

     I am lounging in Guy’s living room watching the John Deere Classic on his 65” TV.  Guy, Bev, Belinda and I just returned from an Odyssey Cruise on the Potomac.  That was a first, and it was a luxurious one, too.  A buffet was provided, and it was as delicious as it was assorted.  It was the “unlimited mimosas tour,” but that was not why we chose it.  I only tasted mine.  Bev drank only half of hers.  I don’t think Belinda drank hers, and Guy had only one.  
     We chose to do this as a spontaneous thing, and it was only because we were driving by the Potomac yesterday on our way home from the escape room, Insomnia.  Guy said they give...
boat tours, and we were talking about doing something different like that the next time we came, but he suggested we give it a go for this trip, so we did.  
     What a fantastic trip, too!  Hanging with my siblings and my wife while cruising past the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, and many other historic sites is a great way to spend a summery Sunday.
     Before the escape room yesterday, we all learned about the art and history of spying at the recently relocated Spy Museum.  Guy said it was not only in a new location, but it was also updated with more interactive sections and completely new displays.  Once again, we are doing things on this trip that we’ve never done before.  Now, however, it’s almost over.  We fly back home tomorrow evening, and Bev is flying home now.  It’s been wonderful to spend time with my brother and sister, and once again I am so happy that Bev chose to join us.  

On to golf…

     Guy and I will play golf tomorrow morning, but we haven’t decided where at this point.  I gave him my old Nike driver and my older various length irons, too.  He will use those tomorrow to see how he feels about them.  
     While he tries his new clubs, I’ll be working with my new swing.  Besides the “hands to the wall” tip I mentioned in my last post, my hand positions at impact are in new places, or at least I’m doing my best to get them into new positions.  It’s easier to talk about my right hand first, because Troy laughed when I said it should be in a Shot Doctor position at impact, the one where my wrist is bent, and my arm forms a “U” shape.  Of course, in order to do this, my left wrist needs to be flexed in the opposite direction.  What it feels like now is I am getting my hands into that position before the downswing (or even at address a bit) and then just turning my body through the ball.  It’s not a “handsy” swing at all.  It feels very much like the little pitches I do around the greens where my hands simply hold the club and I turn my body back and then through again to the target.  It’s very consistent.
     On the range, I’ve noticed multiple shots with very low trajectories, especially the 6-iron and the 5-iron swings.  It feels like I am de-lofting my clubs with that different hand position, so the ball flights are lower.  The last time at the range, though, the ball flight was higher and better when I took tiny divots.  They flew the way they should when I did that.
     I’ve also noticed better consistency.  No hooks.  No slices.  Most ball flights are straight.  I like that.  
     We have picked a place for tomorrow now.  Rather, Guy did.  We will be playing at the 1757 Golf Course.  I’ve downloaded the app already, and I’ve received a $10 credit.  Looking forward to spending four to five hours together with my brother tomorrow.  I’m so selfish.  

Until next time…

No comments: