Monday, July 27, 2020

Obsessing Over Single Plane a Bit?

The learning continues…
Feet say on the ground at and through impact.  Lead leg remains flexed through impact.  
The impact positions of every player have the club, if extended, going through the middle of the back or spine.
Why is the club at address set so far behind the ball with the single plane swing?  Or, at least a few inches back?  Because that point moves forward at impact.  It is priming the club for impact is the way I would describe it.  I think Moe said something about this when he said, “You can’t take the club back any slower than that.”  
It’s the simplest anatomical way to go from address to impact.  In a conventional swing, the arms are hanging down, we are standing too close to the ball.  That is what Todd Graves says is the single mistake most golfers are making.  This will free my arms.         Hitting the ball on the sweet spot solidly will make it go farther.  It will increase the distance.
Consistency of ball speed is what makes better players better.  It’s not about swinging it faster; it’s about swinging it consistently.
Who uses this on the PGA Tour?  Steve Stricker is pretty close to using a single plane swing on the tour.  Bryson is using it.  
Ball position stays in the same place with irons, but the stance narrows and widens.  Narrower for the shorter irons.  
Your hands are the connection to the golf club.  That’s why the grip is so important.  I know I’ve heard that before the traditional golf swing, but it means even more with the single plane swing.  That trail hand is like hammering a nail.  The grip of the club needs to be thick enough to hold onto the club, but thin enough to have a release.  I wonder if my grips are the correct size for the single plane swing.
I also have always wanted to hit it straight.  I know I swing it right to left mostly (hooking, pulling, and hopefully drawing), but I would be so happy if I could just hit it straight every time.  This swing, with its consistency, widens the fairway.  I won’t have to aim right and hopes it ends up on the left or vice-versa.  
Side note: Todd Graves recommends the Pro-V1, because he says you have more control with it.
Wow!  I have spent the better part of today looking at his book and another YouTube video.  I need to take a break.  I will play one last time tomorrow, and then I will report back here after that.

Until next time…

No comments: