Saturday, August 29, 2020

Getting Set Up for How I Will Change My Swing

 Written on 6-10-2020.

        The learning continues.  I am in our computer room, and I am relaxing on a Wednesday afternoon.  I made a makeshift training aid, and I used the measurement from Todd Graves’ book, but I don’t think it’s accurate.  It is both an alignment and a ball position aid.  $100.00 is what I saved by making my own, because that’s what I saw for its price on his website.  I don’t want to pay that much for a piece of plastic with marks on it.  So, I made my own, and I think it is correct, since I also used my Kindle book.  In that book, he sets up with his feet apart 22” for a driver swing with the ball position for irons set 5” back from the lead foot for the ball position for a driver.  That’s what I have done with my homemade aid, but 22” might be too narrow for my larger body.

I video recorded my swing using...

the Swing Catalyst App for the first time today, also.  I was able to record it from both views, front view and down the line.  It was interesting to see my newer swing, but I don’t know how to compare it to Moe’s or Todd’s swing yet.  I am just glad I figured out how to use the app.  I will get more comfortable with recording now, and I will fine tune it to get the best videos of my swing.

I called Luke (last name) to see how he felt about teaching the single plane swing.  It was an interesting conversation.  He doesn’t teach it, but he is willing to help me in any way he can.  His focus is on impact and the four or so inches right after that, and he said he helps players get to those points more easily.  I said I plan to switch to the single plane swing, and I don’t want to be persuaded to do anything else.  He was open to that idea, so I got his cell phone number, and I will call him to set up our first lesson.  I think I will pay for four lessons at $180.00.

I also texted Don Greenwood to see if he is still doing club fitting, grip changes, etc.  He isn't really, but he said he would do it for me.  I asked him to call me when he gets a chance.  I am thinking of doing these things: 1. Fix the driver with its wobbly grip feel.  2. Replace the grips that are worn and slick again.  3. Make my irons literally all the same length.  4. Replace my Approach Wedge, or clean it up.  It looks so scuffed up.  5. Switch to graphite shafts.  That might be the most expensive part, but I won’t know if I don’t ask.

I would also like him to check my lie angles at impact.  Not what they are, but what they should be.  If they are off, I would like him to adjust those as well.

I watched some more videos on YouTube today, and one dealt with the set-up at address and how it should look and feel.  This is what I need to focus on the most right now, because it is the foundation for all the rest.

Soon after, I saw one that highlighted two “young guns” using the single plane swing and what they had learned or what they were working on.  

This is from Reed Howard, who has worked with Todd for three years (at the time of the recording), although he hurt his wrist and couldn’t play for about seven months.  Get your left hand grip right and get the correct tilt.  You can’t swing properly without those two things.  He has a routine with his left arm.  Get the back of the left hand square with the golf club, and then raise it up off the ground.  After that, he does a “little tilt waggle” at address just before he swings.

Next up was Roberto, and he said he had worked with Todd for three months.  He got the lead knee with the proper flex correct, and that really helped him.  Then he simply uses centrifugal force to swing the club around his trail knee.  He uses “the wall” to stop the shoulders in order to release his arms.  He says it feels like he can just let go at that point and let the centrifugal force take over from there. 

I am watching another YouTube video with Reed, and it is called The Moe Norman Wall/Reed Howard.  He had trouble with the follow-through, but not anymore.  He would over-rotate or go past it.  Now, he comes into impact with a straightened trail leg and a flexed lead knee.  A smooth, powerful release results with consistent contact.  They call it the wall, because when the right foot is down, it allows for a full release.  You feel impact, and the left arm just folds.  Todd says, “It (the wall) allows the trail side of the body to rotate around the left side of the body, and you can hit that position every single time.”

Don called me back, and I am going to drop off my clubs tomorrow sometime after 10:30.  Yeah!  I am getting my clubs ready for the single plane swing.

No comments: