Friday, May 28, 2021

My Mom Turns 80 Years Young

Written on 3-26-21.

        I am sitting in Rich and James’s living room, and James is sitting to my right while Belinda is relaxing to my left.  Kody is asleep and straight ahead of me on their dark, laminate wood floors.  We came to Albuquerque for one night to hang out with James and to take in a preview of a putting green that is in Sandia Heights.  We are leaving in about ten minutes.  Kody spent the night here last night while B and I stayed at the Hilton Albuquerque Journal Center, the same place where I felt deadly ill with many chills just over a year ago.  Was it Covid-19?  We may never know now.  This year, thankfully, I feel much better.

Okay, we are off to go see the green, and I will write about it later.  


Until next time…


Written on 3-28-21.


It’s my mother’s 80th birthday today, and we are planning to “Zoom” with her in less than an hour.  Happy birthday, Mom!

I am enjoying the WGC Match Play Tournament, and the final match has come down to Billy Horschel and Scottie Scheffler.  Billy is two up after nine holes, and Matt Kuchar is also two up against Viktor Perez in the fight for third place after ten holes.  Kuchar, they just announced, has made the final four four times in the past.

So, the putting green was gorgeous.  It was everything I expected and want for mine, except it was much larger.  It was about two times bigger than what ours will be.  It had uphill, downhill, straight, and sidehill putts, depending on the holes.  It was sandier than I thought it would be, but that just makes it more realistic.  The golf balls would make a wonderful thudding sound when I tossed them up in the air, and gravity would bring them dropping back down to the surface.  

I think the best thing to write about that happened when we were there was that I made the first putt and the last putt.  I lined up a putt from around fifteen feet to one of the near holes and buried it.  Steve and Gary, the two gentlemen who were there to show us the green, both said something like, “Sold,” or “You’ll take it!”

Steve is a PGA Professional, and he had a lot of experience and knowledge about the putting greens, but I admit that I lost interest when he droned on about all of the technical stuff about the greens.  I just continued to putt in between the conversations, and I got a glimpse of how it would be fantastic for practicing.  No longer will I have to drive to the golf course to practice some short game; rather, I will soon be able to simply step outside and walk down our new staircase to practice.

It’s going to look beautiful and professional, too.  I don’t mind paying extra for quality, and this company specializes in making realistic and impressive putting greens.

No comments: