Friday, December 10, 2021

Birdie, Not a Birdie

Written on 11-14-21.

        I made another birdie later at hole #5, but I am not counting it.  My tee shot was scuffed a bit, so it didn’t get to the fairway, or even to a spot where we could see it.  This was from an elevated teeing ground.  When Greg and I searched for it, we couldn’t find it, and it could have been because of all the leaves.  It might have also been because my ball didn’t make it to the leaves and had gotten stuck on the hill and the rough terrain.  I dropped on the taller grass about 147 yards away, and I took my swing.  It landed on the green.  I made that putt from about thirty feet, and Greg made his, too, from about thirty-five feet for an actual birdie.  That was the only birdie he earned on the round.  So, if I play the “leaf rule,” I made a birdie, too.  If I play it tee shot-one, back on the tee-two, second tee shot-three, approach-four, long putt-five, I would give myself an “illegal” bogey.  That’s one of the discrepancies in my scores.


Written on 11-23-21.


I am relaxing in bed on a Tuesday night, the night before B’s and my 31st wedding anniversary.  B had dinner tonight with her sisters and then they went hot-tubbing at Amanda’s, so I am alone.  I dropped by Julie Greenwood’s to visit for a bit and drop off some flowers and a card, but she wasn’t there.  I left them behind the screen door in her little closed-in porch.  I am struggling to not write “their” instead of “her.”  Sigh.  She left a voice message when I was on my way home after going to Farmington to thank me and to let me know why she wasn’t there.  I will call her back or stop by again at some point.

I drove to (somewhere) to grab a (something) for Belinda for her birthday next month.  I bought some flowers for her, too, when I was at Safeway.  Those are for the anniversary.  

I also stopped by Dick’s.  I looked at the standing golf bags that they had in stock, and it helped me discover what I don’t want.  I am bombarded with the variety.  I have watched videos on YouTube, and I have read the reviews of many of the bags on Amazon, but I am struggling with a choice.  I decided I wanted to get a new bag this Christmas.  My Wishon bag is getting worn, and I have had to duct tape it in more than a few places.  The zipper for the golf ball area is not lining up well either.  

I also hit a Ping G425 7-iron for the first time ever there, but it just felt strange to have such a thin grip.  They can’t put oversized grips on their demo clubs, so I am not sure how I can really see if I would like them or not.  I could pay for an iron and have them put an oversize grip on it, but then I would have to pay for it.  When we were finishing up, he switched the upright angle from +2 to standard, and I made better strikes with that, but I had warmed up by that time, too.

No comments: