Sunday, May 29, 2022

Another Birdie and Bryce Canyon National Park

Written on 5-6-22.

        I am getting dinner ready for tonight’s event.  We are having a Zoom meeting/double date with the Karasiks tonight, and we chose spaghetti.  Danielle is coming after school today, and she said she would leave by 4:00.  She and Kyle will be here for Mothers’ Day, so that will be fun!  James chose not to travel again after going to Florida and Ohio, and we totally get that.  

Also, a former student is coming over here after her track meet to deliver a graduation announcement to me.  I had her for two years of a loop around 12 years ago, and it’s very kind of her to remember me.  I also got announcements from three boys in that class: Wyatt, Zach, and Blaine.  I brought out the tub of mementos in the garage from that year, and it’s super to see the pictures of their younger selves.


Written on 5-8-22.


It’s Sunday afternoon now, and Danielle took Kody with her back to Albuquerque yesterday.  James and Casey will watch him while we go to Wahweap, Kodachrome and Escalante Petrified this week.


Written on 5-12-22.


It’s Thursday, and we are at Escalante now.  We talked to James and Danielle last night, and Kody is doing great.  James brought him over to their weekly Wednesday D&D night with nerds…er…friends. One friend who has allergies took some medication to be able to be with Kody.  That was really nice.  Kody got some more human interaction that way.  

I don’t know why I stopped writing that day, but I have plenty of time to write today.  B and I are all set up with our Alto, and it’s quiet time now.  It’s 11:07 in the morning, and we just took a walk around the campground to check it out in brightness of the daylight.  We spent the first of three nights here last night, and we drove from Page to get here.  It took an hour longer than it normally would have taken, because I stopped in Kanab, Utah to join in a CORE meeting.


Written on 5-13-22.


Okay, that’s two days where I started to write, and then something else took me away from it.  This time I know what it was.  Food called, and we answered, and then it was time to go to Bryce Canyon National Park.  Given a choice between writing and seeing unparalleled nature at its best, I will always choose the latter.  Eating first is always a good idea, too.

Now, I have until around 3:00, and it’s 10:25, so I should not get pulled away this time.  We meet the Edgertons in Escalante this afternoon to do some shopping.  B is out on the lake with her paddle board, so we are both happy.

I’m a little stuffed up due to allergies, but it’s bearable.  I will muddle through.


On to golf…


I have two rounds to recount and one birdie.  The first round was at Riverview.  The scorecard was whisked away on gusty winds on hole #10, but I believe I have remembered most of it.  It was blustery that day.  I don’t feel a need to go hole by hole, so here’s the summary…

Eric and I took on...

Bruce and C.J. in best ball match play.  I did really well on the front nine, helping the team garner a four up lead.  I started bogey (after a lousy tee shot), par (on the par three over the water to match Bruce’s and C.J.’s par), par, birdie, par, par, bogey.  By then end of the round, I was just four over.  Here’s how I got the birdie…


Riverview Golf Course-Hole #4-Birdie #3 of 2022


I had the best drive into the wind on this hole.  It was a push draw that landed in the fairway.  I was happy with my driving this round, and it was because of the work I had done on the range the last time we played at Riverview. Once again, I was swinging the club away from my body, trying to make an arc that went from in to out, or at least that's what it felt like, in to out.  Whatever it was, it was working.  I used my 5-iron to go for the green in two, but I hit that shot fat, so that turned out to be a lay-up.  From 126 yards, I chose my pitching wedge, and Bruce and Eric were right there, because Bruce had just made his own approach.  His was pulled, and it sailed left of the green.  Mine went directly on line to the flag in the back of the green, and it landed five feet past the hole.  The putt was straight and I kept my head still to make firm and confident contact.  Hooray!  That gave us our two up lead.

No comments: