Sunday, July 24, 2022

A Spectacular Story-A Birdie Off the Water

Written on 6-18-22.

        Well, we placed.  I will recount each hole, because it was a great day/round, and it was soooo fun.  We really played well together, and it was a total team effort.  Better to get it in here while it’s fresh in my mind.  We started on hole #13.  Here’s how it went…


13-We started on this hole, and our two partners, Sonja and Brandt (sp? on both), said they were high handicappers, so we should lead the way.  She said they were around 32’s, but the first two holes proved they were better than what she had just told us.  They got a par, and we got a bogey.  

My 3—wood tee shot went left, but we had a shot at the green.  I told Eric not to lay up, and we should both go for the green.  We were 150 out, and Eric’s approach was just off the green on the right side.  We both hit good chips, but his was closer.  We missed our par putts, however.  Not a wonderful start.


14-Eric had the better drive, approach, and putt from off the green.  I was hoping I would start playing better soon.  Wake up, Patrick!  At least his first tee shot was a stinker, but he didn’t have to do that to make me feel better.  We couldn’t convert the par putt once more, so we earned another bogey.

 


15-Finally, I had a better drive, and it landed in the middle of the fairway.  Eric took over again after that.  I took our lay-up shot, so he could go for the green in two.  I thought his shot ended up in the bunker just before the green.  It didn’t.  I thought my lay-up was on the fairway.  It wasn’t.  Instead, he ended up under a tree around 50 yards short, and my ball ended up in some water off the fairway!  Don’t know what happened with that, but it didn’t matter.  Eric hit a super pitch, and we got our first par two putts later.


16-Eric’s 9-iron got the ball on the green, the first one to hit the green for the closest to the pin contest.  He didn’t win it, though, at the end of the day.  I had the better first putt, and we walked away with another par.


17-This was the long drive hole for the men, but Eric went left, and I went right.  After much contemplation we went with Eric’s drive, because it had the safer approach angle, even though it was out in the dirt.  My approach went over the trees and landed left of the hole.  Eric made the putt after watching my putt go left and long.  We were back to +1 after this birdie, and this was the first bird of the day.


18-Eric went a little too far right with his drive, but it was safe.  I cut the corner and landed mine past the cottonwood there where it rolled out to 120 yards out.  My approach landed short, due to the wind, so Eric clubbed up.  He hit a good one, so we had a putt.  It was deceiving.  Eric went first, and it went way right.  I aimed left, and I got it close enough to get another par.  


1-Eric had the better drive out to the right, and he hit a lay-up shot after that.  Because I got the green light to go for the green, I did.  It was from 223 yards out, and I got it to a pitch away from green on the right side.  I pitched it below the hole with my sand wedge, so we used that one, and we both missed the birdie attempt.  We remained at +1.


2-Eric hit his tee shot into the back yard of an empty house.  My tee shot went out to the dirt on the right side.  Eric did a recovery shot that barely made it to the rough past the trees.  I used my turf buster, and I aimed for the hole.  It flew through the top of the trees and landed just short of the green.  Phew!  Eric chipped it well left of the hole, but he made up for it by making a long putt for our par.  It was from 20 feet!


3-This was the miracle hole.  In all of my golf experiences and stories, I have never had anything remotely come close to what happened on this hole.  Before I begin, no, we did not get a hole-in-one.  

I teed off first, and I chose my 6. I hit it thin and it took off across the water like a resistance X-wing fighter from Star Wars: The Force Awakens.  I heard Eric asking it to skip off the water, and that is what it did!  Then it bounced a few times, and it ended up stopping…on the green!  I mentioned when the pros attempt to do it on purpose at The Masters par-three tournament, but they are actually attempting to skip their golf balls off the water.  I just hit it thin.  Thin to win?  Yes.

We still had a putt from around 60 feet away.  It was downhill and it went right to left, I thought.  I got my putt to within a foot, nearly holing it.  Eric stepped up, putted, and then…he holed it!  

We got one of the weirdest birdies ever, and even our two partners were laughing and celebrating with us.  It was amazing!  A birdie off of the water.  This is one of the reasons why golf can be so much fun.

No comments: