Thursday, August 31, 2023

A Putting Warm-Up Turns Into an Competition in Wisconsin

Written on 8-1-23.

        I am sitting next to B on our last leg to Albuquerque on a Southwest airplane.  We are tired, but we are determined to get home to Kody tonight.  I am betting we will get home at around 9:00.  B is reading a book on her iPad, and her tray is littered with things like unopened Southwest snack bags, my iPhone, and a small bag of unwrapped Kit Kat bars I bought in the Dallas Airport.

It was a really pleasant and full vacation, but now that it’s August I know B will be aching to get ready for school.  She starts on Monday, the 7th.

The Farmers Market meal was a highlight for sure.  I bought some horseradish at the Piggly Wiggly to bring out the flavors of the meat.  The pies were heavenly, and they were made better with the vanilla ice cream.


I have to shut down now, because they just made an announcement that we will be experiencing some turbulence for the rest of the flight.  


Until next time…


Written on 8-5-23.


The turbulence was fine, but the pilot had to take it around one more time to get us to land.  We made it home before...

10:00, and just like that, our vacation was over.  Phew!

Belinda starts in two days now and to her credit, she is exceptionally calm.  We used the word “determined” last year, and she has the same attitude for this year.

I got an e-mail from the CORE ladies last week while I was on vacation.  They said they would be calling soon, and I hope to get the same schools I had last year.  They might reach out this upcoming week.


On to golf…


Eric and I played at the Riverdale Country Club just minutes away from our VRBO on Monday, the last day of July.  It was more like a city course, but we could pretend we were at a Country Club.  It was lush and green, because of its location, and it was a bit weird because it didn’t have many cart paths.  I could drive all over the place, except for around the greens where they had painted white lines to prevent people from going near those.  Trees lined the fairways, but they were spread out, so if I hit near them, I could still punch out or make an approach.

Eric wanted to play the 1, 2, 3 points game, so he could work on hitting fairways and greens.  It was one point for a fairway, 2 points for a green in regulation, and three points if the hole was won.  He decided that points for winning the holes would not be pushed to the next hole.  


Written on 8-6-23.


Before I write about the round, I want to tell you about something that happened during our warm-up.  We both rented clubs there and hit a small bucket.  Then we went over to the putting green because we had some extra time before we teed off.  I was working on distance control and Eric was doing his own thing, but as time went on, we chose to have a little competition.

We picked out long putts, and we said closer to the hole would win, but the ball would have to go past the hole.  On the last hole, I picked one out that was all the way across the green, and it was an uphill putt, too.  I went first, and darn it if I didn’t hole it!  

Eric said, “I could make it to tie you.”

Then he did!  I whooped and make a bigger deal out of it than he did.  What are the odds?  I stepped it off, and I counted 19 steps, so they were nearly 60—yard putts!

I just saw Justin Thomas playing the 18th hole at the Wyndham Tournament do a pirouette to draw his ball out of the pine straw.  He ended up with a 50-yard pitch after that, and his golf ball did a little dance, too.  It bounced and gently hit the flagstick, but it stubbornly stayed out.  If it had dropped, he would have been in the FedEx Playoffs.  Now, he is out of the bubble at position 71.  I heard he still has a chance to extend his season but only if Lucas Glover wins.

Okay, now on to our round…

It was fun!


Continued in September...

No comments: