Saturday, September 9, 2023

A Win in Wisconsin?

Continued from 8-6-23. 

        It was fun!  We waited until all the kids had left and it was just us “parentals”.”  Eric drew first blood by hitting the fairway on #1.  We used the first few holes to figure out our rental clubs, even though we had gone to the range.  I bounced back by winning the third hole and hitting its fairway.  We both tied with two points on the easy par four #4 by hitting the green in regulation.  That was the hole I had the best chance at a birdie.  My approach stopped past the hole by just four feet, but my putt stayed straight and missed right. Then Eric got a par on the very next par three by hitting the green and winning the hole.  He had me by one point after that.  

        I won the next hole.  He won the next and also hit the fairway for six more points, but I won the last two holes to finish out the back nine.  I was ahead 17 to 15 at that point.

On the back, we exchanged blows, and it came down to...

hole #18.  If he could get every point on that hole, he could win.  He would have to hit the fairway farther than my drive to win the long drive.  We decided to make the last hole a long drive competition despite it being a par four.  He would have to hit the green and win the hole, too, so it was a tall order for him.  All I had to do was get any points to put the dagger in his heart.

I teed off first.  It actually wasn’t a slice!  I had sliced most of my drives, but this one went straight up the left side.  I was pretty sure it was in the rough.  Eric’s tee shot went right and bounced into some bushes, so that was it.  Or, was it?

Yes, I had won, but we still had some fireworks.  I let him drop in some grass for his second shot, and then he swung a shot up next to the green.  He still had a 40- to 50-yard pitch for his par.  

My approach went off the toe of my utility club, so I was short and right of the green.  I had to hit a high shot to get it over a bunker and onto the green.  I waited for Eric to play his shot first.

Eric told me after the round that he remembered Mike Stark telling him that he should know/believe he was going to make it.  And, then he did it!  He won that hole with the par, so he managed to get three points.

Now, I had to try and hole out for a par to cancel out his points, so I chose a flop shot.  It didn’t go in the hole, but I managed to get it on the green and about twenty feet away.  Well, I made that putt for a bogey, so it was a super way to put a cap on our Wisconsin round together.

I won the game 34 to 31, and I got revenge for losing the putt-putt game from the night before.  The Edgertons beat Belinda and me 99 to 97.  That reminds me that B and I both made two incredible putts at the Harbor Pointe Mini-Golf on hole #3.  We were both on the wrong side of this hole, so we had to putt our golf balls over the correct side.  We both ended up making those!  That was a fun night out, too.

Next time I write, I will talk about the Rypstick I bought and how I am doing with it and how I am figuring it out.


Until next time…

No comments: