Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Danielle Turns 28 and a New Birdie on a Difficult Hole

Written on 8-26-23.

        Let me think about what’s happening on a Saturday afternoon.

B just left to have lunch with A, Char, Jess at the Thai restaurant, and I am home alone with Kody.  I just watched the third episode of Hard Knocks, the HBO NFL series.  This year, they are highlighting the New York Jets.  I like those episodes, because it showcases some of the best athletes in world, and the coaches depart some great wisdom.  I don’t like it, because of all the f-words and the over-the-top bravado.

I am making my iced coffee for the week ahead.  I make batch after batch, and then I...

put them into Starbuck’s iced coffee containers so I can put them in the fridge.  I am still liking iced coffee more than hot.

We are going to Calvin (last name's) wedding today, and I will stop writing to get ready in about 15 minutes.

Yesterday was Danielle’s 28th birthday.  We wish we could be with her, but she is fighting fires with her crew in Montana.  Her crew embarrassed her by singing the “Happy Birthday” song in front of a bunch of other crews.  It was like a slow death for her, but she knew it came from a place of love.  Or, possibly they only wanted to embarrass her.

Belinda and I got some stuff done this morning.  I mowed and trimmed the lawn, and she walked Kody and broke apart of particle board table we had in the garage.  After we did all of that, we sat down to make a Google Slides presentation for Casey’s bridal shower.  We included videos of James answering random questions to discover if Casey can match his answers.  It turned out well.  Let’s hope it works for the party.

I start work this week with visits to McCoy and Newcomb on Tuesday and Thursday respectively.  B was frustrated yesterday with her job.  She will continue to have grit for this year, but I believe this will be her last ‘full-time’ year.


On to golf…


I earned two birdies in my last two rounds, so let’s start with those.  Hey, I earned two birdies!  It feels great to be able to write that!


Pinon Hills Golf Course-Hole #3-Birdie #2 of 2023


Eric, C.J. and I played on Wednesday.  Yes, you read that right.  Eric played.  Herman (not his real name) didn’t.  Both are very rare things.  Eric used the range pass while we were gone to James’s party last weekend, so I think he wanted to play.  I know we will be playing in Pagosa, so he could be getting ready for that as well.

We chose to play the same points game we played in Wisconsin.  I wish we could have gotten more points for a birdie, but that wasn’t in the game.  This birdie definitely helped me win the hole, though, because Eric got a par.

I used my driver to tee off, and I finally hit a decent one.  It landed in the fairway back from Eric’s ball.  I was on one side of the 150-yard marker, and Eric was on the better side of it.  

Because I had a bit farther yardage, I chose my 6-iron.  The pin was on the front, but I wanted to make sure I got my ball on the easier surface.  My ball landed in the middle front part of the green, and then it rolled right towards the hole due to the slope of the green.  Eric ended up on the green in a miraculous way.  His approach went way right, and it headed towards the trees and the rocks.  I thought it would be a lost ball, honestly.  Somehow it ended up on the green farther out from where my ball was, and that helped me with the read.

His putt went downhill and moved right immediately.  My putt went a bit right and dropped into the hole.  I did aim farther left after watching his putt, so his miracle became my birdie.

I earned one more birdie yesterday on a hole where birdies are rare.

I will continue this later.  It’s time to go to the wedding.

No comments: