Friday, November 17, 2023

Playing With a Former Student and First Tee Participant

Written on 10-8-23.

        I am listening to the Broncos game, and they are playing the Jets.  They are down 21 to 13 at the end of the 3rd quarter.  Belinda did some anxiety cleaning this afternoon, and she just sat down to relax.  She is stressed because of the wedding coming up this Saturday.  I am looking forward to getting to the other side of it.  It’s been a lot of work and organization, and I don’t see how it could be unsuccessful.  We are in the home stretch now.  James had his bachelor party up at Vallecito at the Edgerton’s new cabin, so that is done.  Sounds like it went well and nobody died, so that’s a good thing.  I have yet to finish my recipe for them; I just need to copy it again.  I also need to write the letter making my prediction for where they will be in five years and what they will be doing.

We heard that Rachel Banash wrecked herself on her bike during a race.  It was a mountain bike race, and she hit a tree.  She broke her collar bone and her scapular bone on the same side.  Poor Rachel.  We are praying and hoping for a quick recovery.  She will be forced to take off this week.

On to golf…

I got to play with Kyle (last name), a former student and First Tee participant.  It was a struggle to find a time when we could both play, but after some persistence, we ended up playing yesterday.

What a fine young man.  We had a fabulous time together on a beautiful fall evening.  Our tee time was 2:40.  I saw Herman (not his real name), and we almost worked it out to play with him and his son.  This was the first time I got to meet his son, Carl ( not his real name either).  Herman always said it would be a good match between Carl and me.  Because Kyle wanted to go to the range and Herman found a spot for them with a group ahead of us, it didn’t work out.  Kyle and I ended up playing with a Chris and a Kevin, but we separated after the second hole.  I thought that they were really good, or at least Chris was, so I didn’t want them to be slowed down.  I was wrong, and I will explain later.

We talked about driving; I let him drive the cart.  He got his permit last year, and he will get his driver’s license this January when he turns 17.

We talked about Star Wars.  I told him that Ahsoka was a good show, and he said he had watched all of the Rebels shows.  Because of that, I told him he would really like Ahsoka.  

We talked about school.  He is doing really well, of course.  In one class, they joke about him being the most humble student.  So, I said that he brags about how he is the most humble, and we laughed about that.

We talked about golf…a lot.  Because we were playing golf, the topic came up often.  He has played in some JV tournaments, and he has done pretty well.  He said he took 2nd place at one of the tournaments at Civitan.  He said that he laughs (privately) at the players who get so angry when they play.

No comments: