Monday, January 29, 2024

My New Irons Specs

Written on 11-27-23.

     Well, I got ‘em!  They are beautiful.  I already took off the little plastic coverings, too.  My mostly new TGW (The Golf Warehouse) bag looks incredible with shiny new stainless steel EQ1 NX irons in it.

Tom spoke to me for over an hour when I picked them up, and I didn’t even notice that much time had gone by.  I got there right at 11:00, and when we were concluding our business, it was 12:10ish.  I found out that...

the steel is 431 stainless, and I didn’t know that.  They are not the same soft steel that my Sterlings had.  Instead of typing it in here, I will just copy and paste from his site: wishongolf.com.


Features:

    • Enabled by the new 2-piece hollow body design, the Center of Gravity moves progressively through the set from lowest and most rear located on the #5 iron to highest and most forward located on the GW and SW to achieve more consistent shot shape and shot height for each iron in the set
    • The hollow body design throughout the set increases the MOI of each head by removing all mass from the inside of the head to be distributed all around the CG.  The hollow body construction also enables the CG progression and uniform impact sound between the high COR and conventional COR heads in the set 
    • Low number irons are better matched with their loft to CG position to achieve preferred shot shape/height and allow a wider range of players to be able to effectively hit the #5 and 6 irons to fly and carry with proper distance gaps
    • Traditional GW and SW profile shapes are combined with milled faces and a custom sole grind make the wedges a great choice even if they were standalone wedges and not part of the single length design 
    • 275g head weight with hosel weight bore allows assembly to any single length between 35.5” and 37.5” while still being able to achieve a reasonable range of swingweight/MOI (depending on shaft weight and grip weight)
    • Available in RH in #5-9, PW, GW, SW, LW. Available in LH in #5-9, PW, GW, SW,


It’s definitely an improvement on the Sterling single length iron set I have used the past five years, not that those were a bad set.  I like reading that the sound will be the same throughout the set, because the sounds were very different with the 7-iron, 6-iron, and 5-iron with the old set.  They are 2-piece hollow body iron construction, he says.  These have a better center of gravity and moment of inertia or MOI.  They are progressive throughout the set.  In the longer irons, the center of gravity is farther back, and then they are progressively more forward in the higher lofted irons.  They are all 2 mm low offset, and the gap wedge has a mill faced design for more spin.  He thinks they are the finest single length iron design available to golfers today.  I will have repeatability with these even more than I had with my Sterling set, since they are actually the same length.  All of the previously mentioned stuff, and I will have midsize grips for the first time.  I can’t wait to try them out for the first time.


Here are more specs from the website… 





The grips look different (gray and black pattern Lamkins), and I will have to mark them with something to show me where to put my thumb.  I had that mark with the Graves Academy grips.  I will also have to mark the shafts with a line for 8-iron length (24”), so I can stand the proper distance from each golf ball.  They are all 37.25 inches long this time, and that is a bit shorter than all of my clubs in my Sterling set.


Until next time…

No comments: