Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Another Birdie at Moab!

Written on 3-17-24.

      I am riding in the back seat of A’s and E’s GMC Sierra, and I am being jostled about.  Eric is studying for a series of Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) tests next to me.  He takes the first of four tests next Friday.  We joked about how he is becoming a teacher after years of putting up with all of our teacher talk.  A is driving, and B is happy in the front seat with her twin sister. 

We are heading to Albuquerque to pick up Becca, who has flown out to show off her big baby belly before she delivers “our grand-baby” around May 23rd.  Exciting stuff!

We have brought cookies, taco salad, Cheez-Its, and more.  We sure spoil our kiddos.


Back to golf…


Hole 10-Eric hit the best tee shot on this par three.  He was just off the green on the left side, and although he left his putt short of the hole, he made the longer par putt to earn the point.  My tee shot ended up short, but I chipped it to within eight feet.  I had a real chance to cancel out his point with my own par, but my putt missed left.  Greg got a bogey after hitting his tee shot short and into the bunker on the right side. 


Hole 11-I won the hole for Greg and me with a bogey.  My 7-iron approach was skulled, but it ended up on the green.  It was far from the hole, but...

it was on.  I triple-putted, but that was enough.  Eric struggled on this hole and earned a triple bogey.


Hole 12-I struggled on this hole, so I was thankful when Greg started playing better again.  He hit the green and used only two putts for an easy par.  This was one of three blow-up holes  on this round for me.  Eric managed a bogey, so he was only able to earn a single point before his six hole turn ended.


Hole 13-It was Greg’s turn to sit in the hot seat now, so I hoped he would cool off again.  He didn’t.  Thankfully, my new partner earned a par.  Eric made a long putt to get it, too.  Greg earned a par, but Eric’s par negated that.  I earned another par after hitting my tee shot out of bounds first.  In other words, I earned a double, but I don’t count that as a blow-up hole.  On the first hole, I did the same thing, and that’s a decent recovery in my book (or my journal).


Hole 14-Things can go south quickly on this course.  Looking back, I would not have chosen my driver, because it brought the desert rough into play on the left side.  The back nine has many short par fours, so drivers really aren’t necessary.  Greg managed a bogey while Eric and I went the other way.  Because of that, Greg earned his first point during his time alone.


Hole 15-Eric and I were panicking a bit.  We knew we had to play well to help our cause, and we also knew Greg can score well most of the time.  Eric couldn’t win the game, but he could take second place.  I was down by one point to Greg when we came to this hole for the overall win.  

I didn’t have a good start, but neither did Greg.  He hit his drive way right, and it was obvious it would end up among the brush and the rocks.  My drive went low and left, but it had somehow managed to stay in play.  My 6-iron lay-up shot headed towards the junk, too, but I caught a break when it hit a tree and bounced back out to the middle of the fairway.  Phew!

My approach went long, and my ball eventually did end up in a precarious situation.  I pitched out from behind the green and a bush to a spot out in front of the green.  One pitch and two putts later, I had a seven.  Greg had his only blow-up hole, and he got a nine, so Eric and I won that point.  Greg and I were now tied, but we had three more holes to go.


Moab Golf Club-Hole #16-Birdie #2 of 2024  


This was another short par four, and I stubbornly pulled out my driver again.  I had success with it on #8, and I wanted that feeling again.  Surprisingly, when I was setting up to take my shot, I could hear Greg saying, “Hit the tree.  Hit the tree.”

I was amazed that he was saying that, because it’s not cool to say anything or to even make a noise when someone is getting ready to play a shot.  I heard it, I registered it, and I chose to swing anyway.  It was long, but it went right.  I didn’t hit the trees that Greg was hoping I would hit, but my golf ball flew over them slicing towards the adjacent hole, #17.

Then Greg said, “That will work.”

Wow, I thought.  I know he is competitive, but I didn’t know he would go that far.

I hit a provisional, and that ball went way left where Greg’s ball would eventually go, too.  I think he said, “That will work, too,” but I am not so sure about that comment.  

Thankfully, Eric and I found my first ball.  It was on a bed of grass and twigs under a small tree.  I removed a few of the sticks and took a swing with my 8-iron.  It came out cleanly, and it sailed towards the green.  I could hear Shane complimenting my shot from across the fairway.  It was the second best shot of the day (the drive on #8 was the best shot of the day, in my opinion).

My putt was from the top tier down the the lower tier.  I saw a slight break from right to left, so I aimed out to the right a bit.  It headed down towards the hole, kept tracking, slowed down, and then clanked against the stick.  Yes!

Greg and Eric got doubles, and I took the lead!


Hole 17-I clubbed down to my 3-wood, because this hole was even shorter than the previous one.  My driver could have put my ball past the hole.  Eric and I earned pars, and Greg got a bogey.  I took the lead for good after this hole.


Hole 18-Greg and I both got bogeys, effectively cancelling each other out for the last point, so the round came to an end.  The final points were Pat: 10, Greg: 8, and Eric 7.


We are just outside of Albuquerque now.  The twins have shifted to the back seat for napping, but they are awake now as the excitement builds for us to see our kids.

The next big trip for golf is to Page, AZ.  Greg, Eric, Tink and I have that golf trip planned on April 4th.  We plan to play three rounds in two days.  It’s going to be spectacular, and I know I will have much to write about after that.

I wonder if Greg will speak again as I set up for my shots.  Probably he will if I am about to beat him again.  Let him talk.  


Until next time…

No comments: