Wednesday, April 3, 2024

We Witness a Personal Best

Written on 3-3-24.

      It’s another Sunday here at home, and I am watching ShyShay’s team, the VA Elites, playing a match from yesterday’s tournament in Florida on balltime.com.  They are getting beat rather soundly, but Guy did say some of the opponents were already committed to play at D1 schools like Oregon and Tennessee.  Shy’s teammate, Anna, is out, also, and she is one of their better players, if not the best, in my opinion.

Danielle has made it through three weeks at the Albuquerque Fire Academy, but Friday was a rough day.  She sobbed in James’s arms later that day, but she has since recovered.  She did say that they would have to make her quit, because there is no way she would make the decision to quit.

James gained some of his confidence back by passing an insurance test.  He has another one coming up on Thursday, and he needs to pass both to be able to apply for a job where Grant (last name) is working.

Belinda and I have one more week before our spring break.  I work at McCoy this Tuesday, but after that, I’ll only have two more visits, one each to Newcomb and McCoy to finish out my year.  I will get those in during the week after spring break.  We are looking forward to getting Baker Street de-winterized and ready for a trip to Moab and a group site.  Yes, golf will be included!


On to golf…


Greg and I played at Pinon Hills again.  He had his best nine holes on the front, shooting a 43!  He was playing so well that it went by unnoticed.  I played lousily on the front after a decent start.  After four holes, I was only down by one stroke, but then he went one way…and I went the other.

I rebounded on the back nine, and I shot a 46.  I only had two bad holes, #15 and #16, but I had five pars, and that really boosted my confidence with the new clubs and the Arccos sensors.  Greg manage a 46, too, but he texted me later that he forgot a stroke on hole #14 where he had a bad blow-up hole.

Two of my pars came on the last two holes, which are the #2 and #4 handicap holes.  On both, I had drives of over 260 yards.  Yes, those can give me some confidence going into my next round, also.

We played with a young man named Easton, too.  He had just graduated from Piedra Vista, and he was on the golf team.  He said he was a JV player, but he shot his best round with us.  He earned an incredible eagle on hole #8, and he backed that up with a birdie on hole #9, the two toughest holes on the front nine.  He drove the ball far and straight most of the day.  He was even on the front nine, and he ended with a 79.  Greg and I commented that it was like playing with a pro and getting a front row seat to the action.  He was so excited about his score (as he should be), that he was saying over and over again as we walked off of #18, “I’m geeking.  I’m geeking about this.”

It was fun to see.

No comments: