Saturday, September 28, 2024

Fun Abounds in Midsummer

Written on 7-7-24.

     I didn’t play better.  I shot a 99.  Eric left after the first nine holes, but Herman (not his real name) and I played all 18.  I did one stroke better on the back, but it was an unmemorable round.  Herman and I both got two birdies on the same hole, though.  That was one memorable piece.  


Pinon Hills Golf Course-Hole #11-Birdie #6 of 2024  


Herman didn’t use his driver.  I did.  We ended up on the fairway with similar distances.  I chose a 7-iron.  He didn’t.  It was something with more loft.  Typical.  I know I am much taller than he is, but he usually outdrives me.  He just has great mechanics.

Then we both...

stuck our approaches.  The hole was on the middle tier.  Herman's ball was behind the hole and about three feet away, and mine was out to the right of the hole and just outside of two feet.  We both made them, of course.  This was fun to score a birdie on the same hole with Herman!


I have a funny story to recount from the 4th of July weekend up at Vallecito.  When I played frisbee golf with James on our first night, we both had a fabulous time just picking out targets and hanging out together.  

For one of the holes, James picked the gas stove on their new concrete patio.  It has a black cover on it, so we knew it was well protected.  James got it successfully with two shots, so I had to make my second shot to tie him on this hole.  I was a ways away, and I missed it on the right side.  It bounced on the cement, though, and then it started rolling around the stove in a wide arc.  It was rolling ten feet away from it, but I saw that its endpoint could end up being the stove.  I started to say, “Wait for it.  Wait for it.”

Then it rolled into the side of the stove.  James was shocked.  So was I.  It was an amazing development.  It helped me to turn the match more into my favor.  However, we were both winners by having that quality time together before the rest of the gang showed up.

I must write that I won in ping-pong, also.  We only had one match with Eric on the final night.  We played the “King of the Court” game with James after Char had shown and talked about all 150 photos of her trip to Peru.  Maybe that’s why I won.  Thanks, Char.  We played one game to 11 and then Eric made a hasty exit.  It doesn’t happen often (or ever), so I thought it was worth writing about.  I goaded him to stay and defend his home, but he was done.  

Then James and I played three “normal” games, and despite his wicked serves, I won all of those, too.  I think that watching the Amazon Prime special on the last 12 days of Roger Federer’s retirement, I gained some confidence.  Once again, it was incredible to spend that quality time with just James, though.


Until next time…

No comments: