Friday, September 27, 2024

The Rest of the Pagosa Springs Round

Continued from 6-30-24. 

        On the next hole, I got up and down again with my gap wedge and a confident putt from farther away than the previous hole.

        For the third hole, hole #6, I missed the fairway out to the right (we all did), and then I hit the green with my 6-iron from just outside of 150 yards.

      For the final par, I did it the boring way.  I hit the fairway, hit the green, and I used only two putts.  It was fantastic!

Eric, wanting to keep the game going, asked Tommy if we could make up the holes we missed due to the rain yesterday.  Tommy let us go play holes #1 and #9 on Pinon again.  Sweet!  Thanks, Eric and Tommy!

Grant and I hit the fairway for one more point on hole #1.  Eric and I tied the hole with bogeys, so the points pushed again.  Eric and I had also tied hole #18 on Ponderosa with bogeys.  Eric asked for every possible bonus on the last hole to be able to come back and win it all.  Long drive.  Closest to the pin on approaches, etc.  We agreed.  

I won the long drive for three more points, which secured second place.  My approach with my 5-iron, however, was pulled left and sailed over a hill and out of bounds.  I ended with a seven.  Eric won the last hole with a double, but because the points were pushed for the last three holes, he earned nine points.  The final score was Eric: 24, Pat: 22, and Grant: 19.  

I was so focused on catching Grant that Eric passed me at the finish line.  The funny thing is he didn’t think he had won.  He thought he only got six more points for the final two holes, which would have landed his score at 21.  Back at the campground, I told him that I thought he had won, because of the three extra points we had pushed from the final hole on Ponderosa.  He was thrilled when he heard that.  He said something like, “Did you hear that?  I am the champion of the 2024 Pagosa trip.”

Driving home, I asked Belinda who would have won the entire weekend of golf considering we had both won twice.  Would you look at the lowest score?  Or, would you look at who had earned the most points?  She said either one of those would determine the tie-breaker.  I had the lowest combined score for both rounds.  I also earned 75 total points to Eric’s 60, so I think we all know who the champion of the 2024 Pagosa camping trip is.

What a child I am.  I’m just like Trump or Biden talking about their handicaps in the recent debate.  It doesn’t matter.  We all had a great time.  Like I said, what is better than playing golf on a mountain course with buddies?

But, I won (wink, wink).

I played nine holes on my birthday (the anniversary of my brain surgery birthday).  I could have replicated my four pars in a row, but I triple-putted #4, and I missed another similar par putt on #6.  I missed two three-footers!  Ugh.

Next, I will play on Wednesday, July 3rd, with Eric and Herman (not his real name).  Hopefully, I will play better.  


Until next time…

No comments: