Thursday, June 17, 2010

First Entry from my Golf Diary/Journal Back in '99

Hard to believe that the piece that follows is over ten years old now. I have come so far. Today, I scored a birdie and another new eagle! The birdie came on hole #10, and the eagle came on hole #14 at my home course, Hidden Valley. That eagle is my seventh now since I earned five last summer, and the other, my first one, on hole #10 years ago.


Hello, this is my new golf diary!
My Golf Diary
Pat Swope
9-25-99




9-25-99
Tomorrow, I will play golf, not go golfing.
It’s not supposed to be a verb, or so I’ve read in a golf magazine. My first memory of actually playing a round of golf was in Yuma, CO with Uncle Barry, Uncle John, and at a later time with my brother-in-law Curt. My first memory was a good memory. I also remember earlier than that, Jr. High actually, and learning a little how to play during p.e. class with Mr. Vierling (sp?). I don’t remember a thing he taught me, but it was fun. Why didn’t I get hooked on it then? I played in Grand Junction once with Guy when I went to visit him during college. I don’t remember much from that round either, except that we played with Chris (Last Name) from Green Mountain, and I thought I was good, and that it was an easy sport. Ha
I bought my first set of clubs to help me not be completely embarrassed for two bachelor parties I was invited to this past summer. Rocky, Kelly’s fiancĂ©, and my cousin Jeff both had bachelor/golf tournaments. I bought my Mitsushiba (not exactly a brand name) starter set from Golf U.S.A. We charged them for $352.61 on our MasterCard. Ouch! Not cheap, especially for a starter set. It was June 26th.
That’s how it really all began for me. The golf bug had bitten me, and I had been bitten hard, but anyone who’s been bitten by the same bug knows what I mean.
Anyway, tomorrow I’ll play a full 18 holes and turn in a scorecard for the first time. Now I’m getting more serious about having more fun!
What I want to do with this diary is make even more good golf memories. Here are some of the good golf memories I’ve already had, good shots worth bragging about. To me, they will help me build my confidence.


Marianna Butte-Hole 10
Smashed a long drive in my cousin Jeff’s bachelor party. It was the best ball, long and straight to a green well below the tee box. It didn’t reach the green, but it was close.


Marianna Butte-Hole 16
This was the longest putt I have ever made, so far. It was at least 40 feet, maybe 50 feet. Halfway or so, the ball traveled uphill over a ridge in the green. I had many witnesses, including Jeff from the tee box from hole 15.


10-16-99
Lots of things have happened since I last wrote. I’ll try to catch up. Eric and I went to play at Riverview in Kirtland. (Danielle wants me to write her name so she can see a “D”) We played with two older gentlemen who rode in a cart. Eric and I walked, or ran rather, and tried to keep up. They were nice, and more skilled than Eric and me. They had played for five years one of them told us.
We did not turn in a scorecard. We couldn’t, and despite my worst score ever, I really wanted to. I scored very close to 50 over par, which would have started my handicap close to 50. Good thing I couldn’t turn in a scorecard! I guess you have to pay $20 to get it started. They also flush the whole handicap system once a year the guy in the pro shop said. Maybe next spring.
I was a little surprised my score was so high, but looking back I see why. I was trying to keep a good attitude. I was trying to look forward to the future and the next shot, but each poor shot was like a raindrop and raindrops (lots of them) turn into a storm. Note* (Looking back now, 8-26-00, I see my mistake right there. Focus on the present, not on the future. Focus on the shot at hand.) Soon, I was all wet with no umbrella or towel.
Okay, so I scored 50 over. Yes, 50 over! I have nowhere to go but up… or should I say down?
Things have already improved. I’ve been reading Extraordinary Golf by Fred and Pete Shoemaker, mostly by Fred. It’s good. Here’s what I’ve learned. –Be aware of my swing. –Swing slowly (looking back I don’t like this notion. Each swing should be accelerated through the ball.) enough to be aware of my swing –The club throwing swing is a natural graceful swing. If I can throw a golf club, I can play great golf. It’s as simple as that! -Swing thoughts don’t work. (Mike, my pro, says use swing thoughts, and I usually do. 3-5-02) Concentration and awareness do. –Be awake when playing. Notice things. Swinging the golf clubs takes a fraction of the time you are playing golf. A bigger part of the time is spent walking, talking with the people you are with, etc. Enjoy the whole experience. For example, when I played at Civitan with Eric, Dori, and Craig, I did. I noticed two trees with red leaves on both sides of the sidewalk near the shop, the United States flag, and leaves crawling on the fence near the 9th hole tee box. These things I would never have noticed if it weren’t for being aware of the whole round. Being aware helps me to be more alert also.

No comments: