Monday, June 28, 2010

Second Excerpt from My Golf Diary

In this post, I did another cut and paste from my original golf diary. It shows the steep learning curve that was taking place, and it also includes a comment from 2002 when I was reading through my diary a second or third time.  I also begin to record my birdies (bold text), a theme that has continued all the way up to today.  I have recorded every single birdie and eagle I have ever made since I started playing.  I should count how many there are total.  I would always start a new birdie count each season, so I am not sure of the overall count.  This blog would be a good reason to figure it out.  I do know I have had seven eagles, and I have not had a single ace yet, but how many birdies?



10-26-99

I’m going to try and write about some more great golf memories this time.



Hidden Valley-Hole 3

Hole 3 before they made it into an 18-hole course. I hit it over the green slightly with a pitch shot. The hole was downhill a little, five feet in. I had to chip again up a slight hill and then let it roll down to the hole. It was a tough shot because I couldn’t see the hole. I hit it just right. It rolled right into the hole. I walked up to watch it go in. Eric and some guy named Dennis who was playing with us were witnesses.

Civitan-Hole 3

I hit a nice tee shot with my pitching wedge. It spun back three feet from the hole. I missed the birdie putt by an inch, but got par.

Civitan-Hole 7

This is the same hole I once hit it into the street two times in a row and ended up with a nine for a score, so this is big. I drove it six feet or so from the pin. The pin was on the front left side of the green. It was a slightly uphill putt. I made the putt and scored my first birdie ever! 


Civitan- Hole 4

I really had two good shots at this hole, both of them the second shot. The first one I hit a perfect pitch straight at the flag. It went straight up and down with the pin. Sometimes I gasp when I make a good shot. This shot made me gasp. It landed four feet or so from the pin.

The second came more recently when I played with Eric and his parents. I was being filmed, and I shanked it off the fence. It landed under a pine tree branch. I had just enough room to swing about knee level. I whipped it as fast as I could for such a short back swing. I got it on the green close to the pin.

Civitan-Hole 9

This last hole can be tough, especially if we add up the score before we tee it up (I’ve also read this is something you shouldn’t do. Don’t pay attention to the score while playing. Easier said than done, though. 6-5-02) I hit a 6-iron onto the right side of the green. I two-putted after that. The second putt was a good shot. It was maybe a six-footer. Eric was pretending to eat my ball with the shadow of his hand. I made it, and scored a thirty-six. Best score yet for me on that course. Oh, and I purposely didn’t ask what the score was before teeing it up. Next time, Pinon hills and a nice man named Barry and two great shots!



12-7-99

I’ve played Civitan and Country Club a couple of times since I last wrote. Latest good book is Golf is a Game of Confidence by Dr. Bob Rotella. He emphasizes following the same routine for every shot and accepting the results. He also talks about not paying attention to the score. When I played at Country Club. I think my routine was too long. I need to shorten it a little. When it’s time to play golf, I need only to play golf. I do my best when my concentration is on the target. I’ve hit some amazing practice shots at parks when all I’m concentrating on is a small target, and trusting my swing to get it there.

Pinon Hills-Hole 2

I was on the fringe of the green at least twenty feet past the hole. This shot is a prime example of sub-conscious thought taking over. I thought it was my playing partner for the day, Barry’s turn. He was waiting for me, though, so I kind of hurried. I sized it up quickly and putted. It went in! Barry got all excited and high-fived me. I kept saying, “I can’t believe it?” He kept saying, “Of course! Believe it!”

Pinon Hills-Hole 4

It’s a par three. I hit my six. It went straight at the flag. I thought it was going to go over. It landed and bounced up on the green two or three feet from the flag on the front side of the green. I concentrated on my putt to make sure, and I tapped it in for my second birdie ever!


Country Club-Hole 18

Eric and I both made par on this par three that requires a long drive over water. I hit my drive well past the hole, chipped back within five feet and made the putt.

Civitan-Hole 3

Playing with fifty year old Chuck, whose birthday it was that day and his fourth grade son, Brett, I made my third birdie! We had already played nine, but we were playing three more holes before calling it quits. I savored the drive. I like posing after each shot until the ball stops. I strike the ball better when I do that.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

I'm impressed, of course. The closest I've come to a birdie so far is when I almost hit one of the resident geese at Civitan...

Patrick Swope said...

I wrote about that in my recent post about my return to Planet VickiJoan. Check it out.

Some day, you will get a "golf birdie." It is so fun when it happens! Talk about wanting to play more after a great shot, wait until you score your first birdie. You can do it! You have such a nice putting stroke; it's bound to happen.