Thursday, October 7, 2010

5th Excerpt From My Golf Diary

10-7-10
In this 5th excerpt, school has just ended for summer (quite ironic since I am at the very beginning of this school year now), I am considering getting lessons at San Juan Country Club, I play the back nine at Pinon Hills for the first time ever, and I record my sixth and seventh birdies.

5-27-00
   Hello again!  School’s out for summer!  We are staying in Bluff, UT right now at the Recapture Lodge.  Time to “recapture” some great golf memories.  First, some big news updates.  Eric and I met with a head pro, Mike (last name), at Country Club where Eric’s dad is a member, about taking lessons.  It’s time.  Dr. Bob Rotella and Jerry (last name), husband of Mrs. (last name) the music teacher at McCoy, both say to get lessons from a pro after you have played for awhile.  That way no bad habits are formed, and improvement is greater, quicker.  So, my goals this summer are to 1. Establish a handicap and 2. Learn from a pro to get that handicap to 25 or less.  Cost is $200 for five lessons.  Not cheap, but reasonable.  If I had a choice, or my way, I would do the unlimited lessons for $550.  I still might.  It depends on time and a Masters in Technology class that may or may not happen. 

5-28-00
   Let’s “recapture” now.  At Pinon Hills, I finally played a total of eighteen holes.  I did not keep score on the front nine, and no shot from the front nine was very memorable to me, except maybe the first drive.  I had to hustle out to play with three others.  For absolutely no warm-up, I hit a beauty down the left side.  Some Guy named Chris and I continued onto the back nine.  Finally, this would be the first time I got a chance to play it.  A young kid (eighth grader) named Josiah from the Piedra Vista golf team caught up and played with us.  I really admired his tee shots.  He hit them fast, far, and long.  It was getting late, so the ranger had taken off all the flags.  I learned a good lesson.  Erase the flag.  It was easier to hit greens because that was all I was aiming for.  My best shot was on a par three.  I hit a nice drive with my pitching wedge.  Josiah said, “Perfect.”  I two-putted or double putted as my nephew Daryl calls it.  A big canyon is on the right side, so it is a beautiful and challenging hole.

 

Civitan-Hole 4

   Without an aggressive tee shot you can end up down the hill, or worse, behind a tree and down the hill.  I ended up down there when playing with Eric against Dan, Eric’s brother-in-law, who has a one or two handicap, and Dan’s son Craig.  My second shot ended up right next to the fence on the backside with only six inches to work with. Dan said no relief without a penalty, so he recommended that I scoop it out with the backside of a putter?  I didn’t know you could do that. (I talked to Mike (last name) about this and he said you can’t.)  I borrowed Eric’s putter (also illegal).  Mine wasn’t built for that kind of thing.  I scooped it out from about thirty-five feet away, and put it about a foot away from the hole.  I tapped in from there for one of the hardest, but absolutely illegal, bogeys I had ever earned.

 

Civitan-Hole 2

   Same day, I got my sixth birdie ever.  Dan drove right next to the pin and tapped in for a birdie.  His score was thirty-two, and he had never played there.  He hit at least seven out of nine greens, and almost always double-putted.  It was fun to watch someone with so much experience and skill.  Anyway, I hit past the green.  From about twenty feet, I chipped in! I think it was at that point Dan decided to compete against Eric and me with his son.  We won, but only because Craig (little Craig) did not play very well.  Actually, he was very good considering his age. 

 

Civitan-Hole 8

   This hole is usually a pretty easy hole.  There’s not a lot of trouble you can get into.  I took my nephew Daryl to play with me when they visited for Easter.  I remember my ball bouncing in front of the green, and rolling up onto it.  I had six feet of work to do and plunked it in for my seventh birdie.  Daryl almost birdied the same hole, but his putt went so fast, it went right over the hole and past.

No comments: