Monday, October 18, 2010

The Scramble

The only thing I have not written about is the scramble, so here I go.

Last weekend, Bruce, C.J., Don (last name), and I played in the scramble fundraiser for the golf team. Teams were allowed to buy up to ten mulligans for $5.00/each, but I thought that was too many. We only bought six. Each one, except the one on #17, was used wisely and really helped our score.

We got it to -4 when we were all done, -2 on the front and -2 on the back. I thought -6 would get us in the running, but it turns out the winning team was Don (different last name's). They got it to -12! That is an amazing score considering this was the modified type of scramble, the kind where we all tee off and choose the best two tee shots, but after that we split our team and scramble in with two teams of two players each. That makes a lower score more difficult to achieve than a typical scramble. Another team got it to -10 or -9, so we were not low enough, but we all had a fine time.

I played okay. I had some good shots and some bad ones. I did birdie one hole all by myself.


Hidden Valley-Hole #4-Birdie #21 of 2010

Bruce earned an eagle later in this round on hole #9, but I overheard him tell C.J. that it was an “il-eagle” because he got a read from my first putt. This was not an “il-birdie.” I really did do it all on my own. My gap wedge has been perfect for this hole when the flag is up on the top tier. I might be left or right, but the distance has been spot on. It was again for this tournament. My ball stopped two feet from the hole. A hole-in-one would have won a Bose stereo system, but I was two feet left of the hole, so no sweet sounding music system for me this time. Still no ace yet. I went down and tapped it in for one of our birdies.

Some of my other good shots included a smooth 7-iron (for $10,000.00 on hole #6) that landed my ball just off the green on the front side, less than twenty feet from the hole. Sadly, Don and I could not get in with the four shots we had between us to earn our par from there. I had a super long drive on hole #5 and another long drive on hole #7. Both of those drives were used. For this scramble, I tried two different golf balls that I bought at Wal-Mart. For the long drives, I used a Top Flite Freak, and for approaches and chips, I started with a soft Top Flite ball, but quickly switched back to the Titleist golf balls I had been using this entire season, the ones Joe bought me and the ones I got with a winning ticket at the last Robbie Ward Memorial last spring. The Top Flite ones felt weird off my putterhead.

I made a nice above the hole putt from four feet for par on #18, and on the very next hole, I made a longer putt (about thirteen to fifteen feet) for a birdie. Bruce’s chip got us in striking range for that putt.

After using a mulligan, I putted my ball from off the green on #14 and got it within two to three feet for another birdie. My first putt and Don’s first chip rolled past the hole and ended up in the “toilet,” so the mulligan really helped on this hole.

I had another nice putt for par on the final hole, hole #12. It started with my tee shot, and Don made the chip that put his ball within five feet of the hole, but it was above the hole again. That was better than my skulled chip that barely stayed on the green, almost rolling off on the far side. I made up for it, though, picking the right line and the right speed, and then executing the putt with confidence.

After it was over, I was the only one left from our team sitting on the patio with four tickets for prize drawings. One ticket was a winner, but the prize was not that big of a deal. I won an XTO beanie type hat and winter gloves. I don’t know whose ticket it was that won (I know it wasn’t mine), but they had given them all to me, so I am keeping the gloves for B to use when riding her scooter. If it was a bigger prize, I would have figured out who had won and given it to him.

I want to quickly mention that Qwest left a comment on my blog to e-mail a Steph about my frustrations with Qwest. I have not contacted her yet, but I am amazed that it was even noticed. I still only have three followers. What kind of software is Qwest using to search for its name like this and then e-mail the blogger to try and remedy a bad situation? I am impressed and a little bit freaked out by it all. I will contact her to see what she says about it and then relay her reply here.



Until next time…

No comments: