Monday, August 22, 2011

Different Times and Places

     Well, school is in full swing now.  We have had our first five days of school as of today, and so far, so great!  I am coaching volleyball again after not coaching it for sixteen years, right after Danielle was born. I will be the JV coach again, but so far we have mostly done try-outs and I have helped all players at all levels.  It felt wonderful to come back on that first day.  I enjoyed coaching golf when I did that (three years total with two years before my Masters and then last spring with Don), but I really am better and more confident at coaching volleyball.  Also, I would always rather be playing golf than coaching it.
     This next post came from a different time and place.  Reading it again is surreal because it seems so long ago, but it was only earlier this month.  I had just showered after playing golf in Grand Lake, and I had found a perfect spot for writing.  This is what I wrote on our last full day at the cabin...


8-3-11     

     I am on the back deck of the latest cabin Guy picked out for this summer’s family reunion at Grand Lake.  This is the fourth reunion, all of them here at Grand Lake, but each one at a different cabin.  This one, Dad informed me, was a smaller motel before it was converted into a rental cabin.  It has a long deck across the back that goes all the way from one end to the other.  It’s where I am sitting now in one of the white wicker rocking chairs with decorative cushions.  This is the closest we have ever been to the water; we are right above the shore at Lake Granby. 
    From my point of view, I see Annmarie doing something on her laptop at the other end of the deck, two aspen trees, three smaller fir trees, a gorgeous green lawn (their back yard), over thirty anchored boats dotting the lake in one big area off to my right, two islands (one smaller than the other), and some mountain peaks way out in the distance with some stubborn, long lasting patches of snow.
    Bev and her family were here this weekend, but we missed Curt and Erica when they left Sunday night.  We arrived on Monday night after registering our two children for high school and waiting at home to have some new blinds put in James’s room.  We did get to visit with Bev, Emily, and Daryl, though.  Bev and Emily left yesterday, though, and Mom and Dad just left with Daryl this afternoon. 
    Those Lamberts are busy, busy people.  Curt has teacher training for his new job as a teacher, Erica has a volleyball camp at her school, Bev had work to do (some she did while she was here), and Emily had some soccer thing.  Daryl has a volleyball match tonight.  It was great to get to visit with the three who did stay.  I even got to beat Bev and Dad in a quick game of Sequence just before she and Emily left.  Phew!

No comments: