Friday, August 26, 2011

Grand Lake Boys and Saved by Lightning

*written in early August

On to golf...
   
    Golf was great today.  I not only got to go with Guy and Dad again this time, but Daryl and James joined us as well.  Daryl was the one we paid for to play, but he and James ended up playing their own scramble together.  Please don’t tell the head pro!  Nobody noticed or cared, though. 
    I played well on the front, but I could have played even better.  My full swing was very good, but...
my putting and short game were out of whack, especially my putting on holes #5 and #6. I would be just off the green in two shots (they are both par fours), and I would put my first putt eight or ten feet past the hole both times.  Then I would miss the comeback putt and end up with a bogey instead.  It was frustrating; I couldn’t figure it out, and I did not feel as if I was making that big of a swing with my putter. 
    Guy putted very well.  He had the speed figured out.  He did not, however, play well at all as far as the rest of his game.  He had some big numbers, and he struggled to beat the boys’ scores.  He didn’t very often, and they tied a bunch of times.  His ball was in the forest and the rough on too many holes.  It was atypical “Guy” kind of golf.  Sometimes he figures out how to play with rentals and does well... and sometimes he does not.

8-7-11

    I shot a 43 at Grand Lake Golf Course, a record for me on the front nine.  My driving was the best part.  I hit the fairways on #1, #2, #4, #5, and #6.  Daryl told me after hitting fairway #4 that I didn’t have to keep hitting it “right down the middle of Broadway every time.”  I earned pars on holes #1, #6, #7, and #9.  It was a nice round for me, and playing with so many men from our family made it all the better. 
    On the back, I was not doing as well.  I had two big numbers already when lightning struck and rain fell on hole #15.  We marked our golf balls or left them where they were and headed for a shelter.  After about twenty minutes of waiting it out (playing stopwatch on Guy’s iPhone), we chose to call it good and go have lunch at around 12:47.  We found a place in downtown Grand Lake that served salted peanuts in silver buckets; cracked shells littered the floors.  The peanuts were a nice free appetizer since we were all hungry.

No comments: