Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lizard Head and Mach Speed

1-17-12

    Well, I did not write on the way home.  Getting home was incredibly difficult.  We stopped to see my Aunt Sylvia and to check on the weather conditions on her computer there.  It said chains required for Red Mountain, Coal Bank, and Molas, but no requirements for Lizard Head.  We drove about eight miles outside of Montrose before...
I decided to turn around.  It was coming down fast and thick.  We stopped at Cold Stone, bought something for Sylvia, and spent the night at her place.  The next day we left early, but decided still to go over Lizard Head.  It was gorgeous.  We had never gone that way heading home.  On our 15 year anniversary trip we had gone the other way, but changing the perspective made it stand out more; it was beautiful.
    I wanted to get to some of those other firsts from that round with Bruce and C.J.  Another first was a drive with my new driver, a Nike Mach Speed that was two years old, a spontaneous buy from Dick’s Sporting Goods in Colorado Springs over the Christmas break.  It was only $75.00.  How could I not?  Actually, it was not so spontaneous.  I chose not to do it; we walked out. 
    Then I thought about it some more when we got back to my sister Bev’s house before I fell asleep.  I am tired of the driver I have, a $50 Cube driver (not a brand name, I know) that has done fairly well for me.  It helped that Don put my size grip on it. 
    I like square drivers.  A confident feeling comes over me when I look down at a square driver, and what more could anyone want went setting up for that first swing on a long par four?  My new black Nike driver is square, and it’s a brand name, and it’s adjustable.  It’s slick.  I swung it more than a few times at Dick’s, and Curt even took a few, the first time I’ve seen him swing a club since Lillian’s high school graduation.  He did not hurt himself this time, and he smacked a ball right in the middle of the driver.  With his swing speed of about 85 miles/hour, he drove one about 240 yards according to the machine.  It was his swing more than my swings that convinced me.  Well, that and the price, and that it was square, and I wanted a new one, and my swings convinced me, too.  Curt went back and bought it for me (I paid him back), and they brought it when they came up to Mom and Dad's.
    I’m babbling.  So, it was encouraging that my first drive of 2012 on hole #1 at Hidden Valley sailed up to the 150 yard marker, landing on the left side of the cart path after a beautiful draw.  True, I had missed the fairway, but it was long.

No comments: