Monday, January 30, 2012

My Birthday Weekend and They Were Surprised

    Happy birthday to me... yesterday.  Had a great weekend. Went to dinner in Durango at Gazpacho's Restaurant and Cantina on Saturday night.  Then got in 18 holes on Sunday, 9 with Bruce and C.J. and then 9 more with just Bruce.  Weather was fine, just fine.  More on that round later.

    On another topic, Trish and Jordan were shocked to see us in Delta to join their “Shine the Light” Walk.  We arrived right before 4:00, the time it was scheduled to start.  Trish was behind the table where donations were accepted, freebies were available, and brochures about domestic violence were abundant.  We sneaked around behind that table, and...
I tapped her on the shoulder. 
    Her reaction is still stuck in my brain.  She saw my face, looked behind me and saw James, Danielle, and Belinda too, and her eyes widened.  She smiled, and then she put her head down.  Her right hand swept up to wipe tears that had come without warning.  We hugged.  She squeezed me hard.
    Jordan came over and hugged us all as well.  It was a nice reunion.  Tristan remembered us, and he looked taller and leaner, a mustache peeking out. 
    We took the walk.  It was cold.  I enjoyed having my earmuffs.  Holding the sign with their three faces and the words “A Memory Walk in Honor of Melinda Yager” made our hands hurt from the chill.  Belinda and I kept taking turns, and when it was my turn, I kept switching from left to right and back again.  It was worth it.
    When we arrived at the community center, we listened to the talks.  First, it was the man who had helped the Belews.  Then it was Trish.  Finally, it was Jordan who only spoke briefly and then showed videos about domestic violence.  They were haunting.  Images of battered women and sad statistics flashed on the screen. 
    When it was all done, we had some time to just visit with Trish while the kids visited with Jordan.  We talked about possibly going to Jordan’s surprise birthday party, but it was out of the way about 16 miles, and we needed to head home.  We had done what we set out to do.  Our friends were in need; we showed them that we were there for them, and that we will continue to be.  We were so impressed by their courage and integrity in such a serious time of duress.

No comments: