Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Surprise Trip and the First of Some Firsts

1-7-12

    Well, we are on the road again.  I just read last year’s diary and we were headed to Lakewood to surprise Dad for a belated 75th birthday party.  This year, though, it’s something different.  We are headed to Delta, CO to surprise some friends.  We learned last night on Facebook that Jordan and Trish (last name) are holding a walk titled “Shine the Light” to spread awareness about domestic violence.  Domestic violence?  We knew this family.  Jordan is a senior just like James.  Trish and Belinda were close friends when they lived in Aztec.  We’ve had dinners together, camped together, and we even visited with them in their new home outside of Delta on the way home from a Grand Lake trip two years ago.  To find out that he...
verbally assaulted them most of the time and physically assaulted them some of the time makes me feel sick and sad.  We had no idea.  Not particularly good judges of character, huh? 
    They are divorced now, but I wonder about him.  What’s he doing now?  Where is he?  He was funny, but looking back I saw some soft signs of strangeness.  They did move around a bunch.  He was critical and tough on Jordan, but those seemed like protective father behaviors then, not abusive father behaviors.  Who knew?  They did.  It’s going to be an interesting afternoon.  They have no idea we are coming. 
    We just passed through Montrose on the way.  I called my Aunt Sylvia and Troy.  We will do our best to stop and see Sylvia since I saw Troy when he came to Farmington recently.  This is the second time I have gone through Montrose without stopping to play golf.  Although since it is January I am betting the course is not even open.  Troy was going to watch his son Angelo play basketball today at 3:30 anyway.  Now it’s 3:45.
    I had some firsts for this year the last time I played with C.J. and Bruce.  The weather was nice enough to play last weekend, so we gave it a go.  These are the firsts:

1. This was the first time I purchased an annual membership.  Actually, we began to purchase one since we are doing it in installments.  It just makes financial sense.  As much as I play, I will lose money if I pay every time I play.  It’s also nice to play just six holes, or eleven, or skip around if we want to without worrying about it.  Gotta go.  We are just outside of Delta.  I will hopefully continue on the way home.  Bye for now.

No comments: