Tuesday, March 20, 2012

For Garylee

Written on 3-18-12
    
    It’s snowing outside.  I called C.J. to see how they had done yesterday in their best ball tournament.  I played the back nine while they played the front.  I only played nine holes in order to see James compete in the finals of the 110 hurdles.  According to C.J., they took third.  Bruce birdied #11 and #12 and then he eagled #18 again.  Gee whiz!  That's amazing!  C.J. said he had 15 good holes and only 3 bad ones.
    In other recent news, Garylee is closer to getting his new heart today according to his site at Caring Bridge.  Here is the link: www.caringbridge.org/visit/garyleezuniga.  The doctors have...
adjusted his medications since they were causing nausea and leg pains.  I pray his heart comes soon.  I’ve been praying for him daily.  I can picture Garylee, my third grade Garylee from about twelve years ago.  He had his glasses, his little purple smiling lips, and a “can do” attitude all intact.  He so wanted to play football with the other boys, but that was limited because he could have been seriously hurt.  I can still see him running, though.  His little legs were working as fast as he could make them go.  It was fun to watch.  The other boys would pretend to almost catch him and then let him go by.  The football was about a third of his size.  His smile was about that ratio to his face, too. 
    I also remember him getting kicked by another student who was in our class that year.  He was just standing against the wall in the hallway, waiting in line to get a drink, and this other boy walked over and kicked him hard in the shins.  Garylee's expression shouted out, "Why?"  I am slow to anger, but I was pretty fast that day.  I wanted to kick that boy in the shins, but, of course, I did not.  I felt so protective in that moment, and I still feel that same way today.  I want him to have a new heart.  I want to give him my heart; I want him to live a full, long life.  Dear Lord, thy will be done.
    I also remember the older Garylee, the senior.  I was honored and blessed to be his sponsor for Confirmation.  We met several times, and I cherished each meeting.  One time we ate at A&W.  What was I thinking?  I took someone with half of a heart to eat burgers, fries, and a shake.  He came along, though, and we did have a good conversation that day.  Garylee is wise beyond his age.  He taught me things; he is more of an example to me than I am to him.  I remember mostly his reason for wanting to be confirmed.  He told me he wanted to be closer to God.  I think he is, and I know God is very close to Garylee. 
    I will continue to pray for you, Garylee, and for your family.  I picture you fulfilling your dream of coaching some day.  Hang in there, friend.

No comments: