Sunday, April 15, 2012

James is the "Master" and Early Morning at the Masters

Written on 4-14-12
    
    We are on our way to Albuquerque.  James has done it again.  I am so proud.  He won a $500.00 scholarship last year with his two friends Michael and Connor.  They designed a car of the future, and they each received scholarships towards college.  They took second place.  This year, they might have taken first, and if they do, it will be $1000.00 each.  If they don’t, it will still be another $500.00.  They did this all on their own.  This is one scholarship that Belinda was not involved in. 
    B is in front of me in the passenger seat, and James is driving.  It’s a quick trip.  When we are done, it’s back on the road to Aztec to get James home in time to get ready for Prom.  We are busy, busy people. 
    I am using the time to write about the Masters trip with Guy last weekend. 

*It's 4-15-12 as I am posting this, and they did win the $1,000.00 each, and he was crowned Prom King last night, too.  Yesterday was a great day for James!

Written on Saturday, April 7, 2012 at Augusta National

8:17 A.M.-Sitting in a Masters collapsible chair on the side of the green on...
#18.  Left one chair back at the entrance.  A security person told Guy he could only take in one chair, so he pointed back at me and left one for me to pick up.  I didn’t know, and the security person didn't tell me, so we left it.  We will go back after Guy buys a new one ($30.00) to hold our second spot here on #18 for later in the day.  I am reminded of a quote from the movie Raising Arizona, “Let’s go get Nathan Jr.”

8:20 A.M.-Is it “all that?”  Yes, it is.  After the entrance, I spied the green camera booths with their rich green covers like one-legged ATST Walkers parked and ready to shoot the action.  That was my moment, the one where reality hit.  I AM AT THE MASTERS!  As we walked briskly to get a good spot at #18, Guy commented on the grass.  It looks fake, but it’s not.  People have trampled the crossways for a week now, but it doesn’t show.  It’s still green.  After careful observation, it looks like painted gravel in those crossways.  Is it?  What is it?  Whatever it is, they stay green.  Brown is the enemy here, unless it’s pine needles or pine cones.

8:24 A.M.-I must be an expert.  Sitting here writing I’ve already been asked about today’s pin placements and if this will be the one for #18.  I answer as if I really know.  I say, “They changed those yesterday.”

9:30 A.M.-I’m glad I brought my little orange Sharpie Marker.  I don’t know why I did, but we have used it to write our last name on our new chairs.  We need proof that those are ours when we come back later in the day. 
    We have seen our first players, Bjorn and Cantlay.  Cantlay is an amateur. 

9:40 A.M.-We see Immelman and Cabrera on hole #2.  They go for the green in two shots from the fairway there.  This is the hole where Oosthuizen will score an unforgettable albatross the next day.  It’s fun to see Cabrera’s gait live.  He walks with a bit of a limp, barely noticeable, but I see it.

9:43 A.M.-We stop at the green on #3.  Kraft makes a chip from off the green, but it goes too far.  Some guy who has no name in our little booklet plays a shot out of the rough and his ball skims through the needles of an overhanging branch.  I hear my first roar that echoes over to us from somewhere else.  It’s an Ohhhhhhhhh kind of cheer like someone just missed.

10:10 A.M.-It’s time for a bathroom break.  I go in, and I am surprised at the amount of help in there.  They announce that people who have are washing hands should stay to the left.  If you need a stall, keep to the right.  So much pressure!  They also wipe the seat when someone is finished.  I think to myself, “Hopefully, any other kind of wiping ‘ends‘ there.”  I see a sign that forbids tipping as I walk out.

No comments: