Wednesday, April 18, 2012

More at The Masters

    For my first time here, I’ve only had two mistakes.  First, we left "Nathan Jr." (see previous post) at the entrance.  I also had to leave some perfectly good food outside of the golf course.  I had to discard an untouched oatmeal from McDonald’s at the entrance.  What a waste.  I didn’t know. 
    Oh, I forgot my...
hat and sunglasses in the store that was outside the security entrance, too.  So, make that three mistakes.  I had to go back to get them.  They were there, though, too, just like "Nathan Jr." was.  I spent $245.00 in the shop in less than five minutes.  I bought two hats, one for C.J. and one for Eric.  I bought ball markers for neighbor John, Bruce, C.J. and me.  Just for me, I got a new golf towel to replace the one I lost that Guy gave me after he attended The Masters last year with his father-in-law.  I also bought a nice red Masters shirt and a new green Masters keychain for myself.  Oh, and the two chairs. 
    I made a phone call home.  Nobody answered.  I left a message about how this call was originating from Augusta National and to please not delete it.  I said something about how I should take advantage of all the free calls since the tickets were so expensive.  I wanted to milk it all, of course.

10:33 AM-We stop at the stands on #13.  I eat a banana and a Masters Moon Pie for a snack.  It’s a “free day,” so I am eating whatever I want. 
    The air reeks of cigar smoke in a few places, pine needles almost everywhere, and a couple of smelly areas where it smells like pond water and/or stinky grass. 
    On the way over here, we heard the loudest cheer by far.  It was more of a Hoooooorraaaayyy! this time.

10:42 A.M.-We are in the stands still.  We have a great view here.  We are on Amen Corner!  Amen to that!  We are looking at the famous par three #12 with Rae’s Creek and the bridge.

11:23 A.M.-We moved to a closer and better spot here at Amen Corner.  We are nearer the action.  Since we have the one extra chair, we are taking turns sitting and standing.  Whoever stands gets a little better view of the green on #11 and the teeing ground on #12.  The sitter gets a good view, too, and he also gets a rest from standing.  Looking at the bridge over Rae’s Creek, the view is straight on.
    The first group should be here by now.  I am impatient, and I want to see some golf action, but I am also happy to have a bit of a rest after walking all over the place. 
    Everyone is so friendly here.  As we walked in, we were greeted with a sincere, “Hi, welcome to the Masters!”  People sit in other people’s chairs, but when the owners arrive, they graciously and quickly surrender them to their rightful owners.

11:28 A.M.-The first group is here at #11.  It’s Kraft and No Name.

11:34 A.M.-I see a caddy toss green grass scraps trying to judge the wind.  It makes me chuckle.  How can the wind right next to the teeing ground possibly affect his prediction when the green is so far away and the wind above the trees could not possibly be the same where he is?  Seems futile to me, but it’s what they do.
    I smile when realize that I was just reading about this in my latest Golf Digest issue.  It mentioned how the flag on #11 could be blowing one way and the flag on #12 another.  Many pros had theories about how to play it when it was their turn.  Now, I am here looking at both flags!  The weather is so pleasant today, though, in the 70’s, and there is hardly any wind at all, but I do see some gentle breezes occasionally.  None worth tossing scraps of grass, though, in my opinion.

11:45 A.M.-Immelman and Cabrera tee off on #12.  Their swings look easy-peezy.  Effortless.

12:24 P.M.-I have my first Pimento Cheese Sandwich.  It’s good.  It’s cool and creamy, but I sense a bit of a kick.  The bread has a wonderful flavor.  It reminds me of the bread I ate growing up, fresh, “wheaty” and wholesome.  While I’m gone away getting the sandwiches, Guy says Cantlay and Bjorn both just birdied #12.  I’m bummed I missed that.  I see Keegan and Bradley tee off, though, and every club I have heard here makes the cleanest clicking sound I’ve ever heard.  Their balls sail high and straight, and most of them land in what Guy and I decide is the bailout area on this green, the left side.  Click...click.

12:33 P.M.-It’s Fowler’s and Stricker’s turn on #11.  Fowler is wearing neon green, and I think of the song and the video that he, Mahan, Bubba, and Ben Crane made for charity.  I found out about it through Bruce.  I still have iTune Gift Cards, and that is on the list for me to buy. 
    Stricker is more methodical than I would have thought. He works very diligently, and it pays off.  He gets up and down for his par from just off the green on the right side.

12:57 P.M.-Waiting for Tiger.

No comments: