Saturday, September 15, 2012

Birdie with the Family #1

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #1-Birdie #30 of 2012

    This was the first tee shot of the day with my family watching.  Guy had hit a topped stinker at first, but I lied and told him one of our local rules was to allow one mulligan off the first tee only, so he hit a better one after that.  *Okay, it's not a local rule, but it's what our our usual threesome does when we haven't warmed up at the range... which is every time.  For the rest of the day, Guy drove it really well with Eric’s Taylor Made driver.  It was his putting that didn’t work so well with Eric’s putter; he could not figure out the speed and many of his putts were left well short. 
    My tee shot was long, but it went right.  It ended up in the taller grass, and it was short of the big cottonwood.  I had to go low to get it under some limbs, so I chose my utility club/4-iron.  I topped it.  It did, however, end up on the grass again, and I did hit the green in regulation with my next shot using my 9-iron.  The hole was cut on the top tier on the right side.  My ball was behind it, probably 40 feet away.  I made that putt, and I used Guy’s marker that was short and right of the hole to guide me.  Wow, I had just made a birdie on the first hole with my family watching.  We asked the pro shop for a flag to be placed on Mom and Dad’s cart for them to be able to drive up close to the greens, so they were just off on the right side, and they were close enough to watch my ball roll right into the hole.

No comments: