Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Father and Son Day

I started to write this post on 11-22-12.

    When James and I played golf yesterday, it was dreamlike.  James was the inexperienced one among us, but he had a great time, and so did I, and he really had some excellent shots and putts...for someone who doesn’t play.

11-26-12

    We chose scramble match play to keep it low stress for James.  I thought it would be a blow-out with two golfers vs. one golfer and one non-golfer, but it was close and James helped, especially with his putting. 
    Bruce and Reilly earned a birdie right away on hole #1.  We tied it up with a par on #2.  On those first two holes we had used three of James’s shots already.  His blind pitch on #1 from 50 yards ended up two feet closer than mine.  His putt from around four feet...

helped us earn our par.  On #2, it was his first putt that got us closer, close enough for me to make the par putt, also from about four feet.
    We took the lead on hole #3 when James made our birdie putt from just off the green.  He insisted that we use that ball from off the green even though his ball was on the green, albeit a little farther away.
    On hole #4, our two teams tied with pars, and then we tied again on hole #6 with birdies.  Here’s how we earned ours.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #5-Birdie #37 of 2012


    My drive flew over the middle fairway bunker, but it was long enough and it was clear enough to go for it in two shots.  I recommended James use the utility club in Eric’s bag, but I had him switch to the 5-wood.  I was considering my utility club also, but I clubbed down to my 6-iron.  I’m glad I did.  This was the best iron swing of the day for me.  The ball had a high drawing flight.  I knew it was right.  I knew it would be on the green, and I figured it would be close.  We were thrilled to discover that we had an eagle putt inside of ten feet.  It was uphill too, but it had some break from right to left.  I went first.  Too high.  James gave it a go.  Too low.  He and I were both excited to have an eagle attempt.  It reminded him of playing the Tiger Woods game.

    I usually finish my birdie putts, but Bruce conceded mine, and it was really close, so I counted it for this journal.  James made his birdie putt anyway. 

    Both teams earned pars on hole #6.  We were one up for four holes, but that ended on #7.  We were unable to get up and down from just behind the green and the hole.  My chip went too far, and James’s putt from off the green was too hard.  It clanked off the flagstick, though, so he had the accuracy.  We got a bogey; they got a par.  We were even.
    We then bogeyed #8 after my tee shot went in the ditch.  Bruce sealed the match with a forty foot birdie putt on hole #9.  We had saved a par after my tee shot went into the ditch again, but we needed to win that final hole to even tie.  The B and R team had held off the P and J team, but it was closer than I thought it would be.
    They left after hole #9, but James and I stayed and had lunch together, the Frito Pie Special.  It was too much for both of us, but it was yummy.  We played five more holes together before we had to leave and go rake leaves at Dale’s with Kyle.  After that, James talked me into seeing Red Dawn with them, but he said he would pay.  I’m glad he did, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. 
    We played #10 through #14, but we skipped to #18 to finish faster.  We continued the scramble format, and we earned two more birdies on hole #13 and #18. 
    I am going to sleep now, but I will finish up those birdies next time.  Oh, and I earned two more on Saturday with Bruce, Reilly and C.J. in another fun match.

Until next time...

No comments: