Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thanksgiving, A Shoulder Injury, and Dad's Scare


11-22-12 (after the big meal)

    We are back home now.  B is asleep, a victim of Tryptophan?  The boys are in our living room playing Halo.  Danielle is with her boyfriend at his family’s get-together.
    I hurt myself playing 500 after the dinner was over.  Or, rather James hurt me.  We both went for some points where the frisbee was thrown low and short.  I was about to snatch it off the ground when I was “helped along” with a shove from James.  I hit the ground hard, right shoulder first and then my head.  I was stunned for a bit, but...

I returned to play minutes later.  I’ve taken some Advil, but my shoulder is aching.  I hope I can play volleyball tomorrow, and, of course, I want to play golf again before the break is over, too.
    On Sunday, I had a swell round going before I received a phone call at hole #6.  I had earned the birdie on #1 that I have already written about, and I saved a par with a long putt of about 15 feet on hole #4 to stay at one under.  I was even after a bogey on #5.
    Then on #6 I missed the green on the right side.  My chip shot left me another long putt to save my par, but I heard my phone beep when I moved my push cart, so I picked it up thinking it was a text from Belinda. 
    It was Bev.  She told me Dad was in the hospital.  She said he had had chest pains, shortness of breath, and pain in his arms, too.  She also said, though, that he was doing better now, that his pain had subsided, and that he was okay.  As Bev and I talked, I saw that Bruce and C.J. had both made their pars, so I picked up my ball mark.  There was no need for me to finish since we were beating the Bogey Man handily and my par would have made no difference.     
     I was even thinking about leaving the golf course to go call Mom and see what was going on.  Bruce and C.J. had already teed off on #7, but they asked me if I wanted to go finish on #6 since I was having such a good round so far.  I didn’t even know where I was at, but I thought that was a fine idea.  I ran back to finish, put my mark where I thought it was before, put my ball down, picked up the mark and watched my ball start to roll away.  I stopped it immediately, put it back, got it to hold still and putted my ball.  It went past the hole.  My return putt lipped out.  It was an illegal mess with all the “marking the ball” problems, but I put down a 5. 
    I got a par on #7, but I limped in with a triple on #8 and an 11 on #9. On #9, my first two tee shots went well right, out of bounds, and all the way over on the fairway on #11. 
    Was I thinking about my dad and not golf?  Probably.  At least we won the game we had decided to play.  We beat the Bogey Man handily by two strokes.  My par on #7 really helped because they had both gotten triples. 
    All’s well that ends well.  Dad spent only one night in the hospital.  They ran a group of tests, but they found nothing wrong.  Heart is good.  Lungs are fine.  They could not definitively say what was wrong with him.  I hope it was nothing.  I’m glad he is home and happy again.

No comments: