Thursday, November 15, 2012

19th Excerpt From My Original Golf Diary

     I read the excerpt below before pasting it here on my blog and it was as if I was reading about a different life.  I felt I was reading about somebody else; that's how far removed it is.  I say that because I remember those things happening, but I have to convince myself (and my new brain) that those things happened to me.  Yes, I did a volleyball business called Spike Doctor with a great business partner for seven years, a traveling clinic with the slogan, "We do house calls!"  The new irons I mentioned were just sold in a garage sale this past summer.
     And reading about those old clubs made me realize...
it was my life, of course, and I saw the similarities to my life today.  I went out to visit and play golf with Guy at the Masters last spring.  I just completed my new set of irons, and I wonder if eleven years from now if will I have another new set.  I'm on my third set now.  Each new set has helped me elevate my game.  I just checked my e-mail tonight and my handicap is the lowest it has ever been.  It is 13.3.        

4-19-01
    

     Hello stranger!  Sorry I haven’t written in a while, but it’s because of school, bad weather, and getting ready for Spike Doctor.  Spring is always one of the busiest times of the year for us.  I have tried to play a lot of golf lately.  Before spring break, I told Mike that I wanted some time away from lessons to try out the new irons, and to play some more so I would know what to work on.  I bought an entire set of Thomas Golf irons.  I was doing it one club at a time to save money, but it was actually costing more to do it that way with extra shipping and handling costs.  So, after buying two clubs, I just bought the rest of them instead.  Mike put the grips on them and fattened them up a little to to fit my larger hands.  Goodbye, Mistushiba!  I gave my old set of first clubs to Joe. 
     I played 36 holes with Guy out in Virginia during spring break.  I got to spend four days with Guy and AM, and it was wonderful.  We also got to go hit some golf balls before playing once. I noticed that with my new irons, long irons were going straight right and short irons were going left.  I played well, but nothing worth writing home about, or worth writing in here.  

     Guy and AM both got birdies, however, when I played with them.  AM’s birdie came at a par three at their home course called Greendale.  She knocked it to within two feet or maybe less.  Guy’s came at a long, difficult par three course named Oak Mar.  It was on hole #4.  It was about two hundred yards, which is really amazing.  He hit it to less than one foot.  It looked like it was about seven or eight feet away when we were walking up to it.  
     I did have a pretty funny par.  I pulled my shot badly on a par three at Greendale.  It was also short, so I had an awkward pitch of about forty yards to the flag.  I skulled the ball, and it took off way too fast.  Luckily, it hit the flagstick!  Pretty good alignment with these new clubs.  I ended up being only two or three feet away and tapped in for my lucky, and not so well deserved par.  
     At the seventeenth hole at Greendale, I also got a birdie, but not really!  Let me explain.  This hole was under construction.  It’s really a par four, but they had torn up the fairway, because I guess too many shots were going down a hill on the right making it very difficult to get a low score, or maybe because it was dangerous to other golfers walking below.  Anyway, they had set up a makeshift tee box up at the top of the hill.  I think this is the signature hole, because it was above the city.  For Virginia, it had a pretty good view from up there. I hit the green from the temporary tee box, and then double-putted for what would be a par on a par three, but the scorecard said, of course, that it was a par four.  The nice gentleman we were playing with said to write it down as a birdie, so we did, but it really wasn’t.

No comments: