Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Cameron Cleans Up, Two Birdies, and Thank You Brandt Snedeker

Written on 4-20-13.

    I have some birdies to catch up on.  Last weekend I played with Bruce and Cameron.  C.J. was participating in a triathlon the next day, so he was resting his body, getting mentally ready for his big event.
    Cameron played the best I’ve ever seen him play.  He played the way I’ve always thought he was capable of playing.  It was fun to watch.  He shot a 75.  We played a game that I came up with.  We would add our net score to one of the pro’s scores playing in the Masters that Saturday.  As we walked to the fairway on #8, I commented that I was at the Masters a year ago.  I realized that it truly might have been...

a once in a lifetime trip.  I hope to return someday, but I don’t know if it will ever happen.  Never say never, though.
    Bruce chose Tiger, Cameron Jason Day (for some reason at the end of the round I mistakenly thought his last name was Roy, not Day, and Cameron disgustingly thought I was saying Rory for Rory McElroy; it was clear he would not have chosen Rory), and I made a last second choice of Brandt Snedeker.  I was thinking of Fred Couples or even Dustin Johnson, but I switched quickly when Cameron commented on what a great putter Snedeker is.  I feel putting is a strength I have, so that made a good fit.  For the pops, Cameron got 10, Bruce 7, and me 13 or 12.5 rounded up.
    Cameron had birdies at holes #5 and #18.  Of course, he had some great scores in between to score his 75.  I had two birdies, also, one at #9 and the other at #14.  I had some much higher scores in between to score a lousy 90, adjusted to an 89 because of an 8 on #17.  Ugh.  This is how I got the birdie on #9.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #9-Birdie #8 of 2013


    The driver got the call.  I aimed at one of the cottonwoods on the corner, hoping to cut it and go over.  It went straight down the right side of the fairway, though, above the cart path.  We all thought it had gone in the ditch.  We saw it land and roll and disappear.  I thought I might have to hack it out of there, but when I got up to my ball, it was not only up, it also had enough room for my stance, and it also had a clear shot at the flag.  Sweet! 
    This approach was the best one of the day for me.  I chose my 8-iron, and I was about 159 yards out.  The ball landed just to the right of the hole that was on the front left side, but it ended up stopping on the left side, very near the hole.  I had an eagle putt opportunity!  With Bruce watching.  I could earn back my $5.00.  It was a good effort.  The putt was a left-to-righter with some downhill.  It barely missed below the hole.  I had a tap-in for my birdie.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #14-Birdie #9 of 2013


    This is the first time I have birdied this hole this year.  The flag has not been down in the toilet bowl for a long time.  Bruce and Cameron said it was down there for just a couple of days, but it was quickly put back up on top.  I never got to play it when it was down there.
    I used my driver first, and then my 6-iron.  I pulled that shot low and left, though.  My pitch, however, helped me recover and get on the green below the hole about 20 feet.  The green was still brown and fast.  This putt was uphill and straight.  My ball rolled on a straight line and fell in.  Too bad I couldn’t have scored better on the other holes to have a more decent score.

    Cameron won the game.  It was a no-brainer after his low score.  His 75 adjusted to a 65.  His 65 combined with Jason Day’s 73 for a total 138.
    It was down to Bruce and me for second place.  My 90 adjusted to a 77.  Bruce’s 84 adjusted to a... 77.  It was closer than I thought.  Tiger shot a 70, so their combined score was a 147.  Snedeker shot his best round that day to move to the top of the leader board.  He shot a 69, so my score was a 146.  Thank you, Brandt Snedeker.

No comments: