Saturday, May 11, 2013

Free of Screen Free Week, 5 Doubles Beat 4 Birdies-Part 1

Written on 4-29-13.

    It’s Screen-Free Week, so I am writing this with a pen in an Episode 1 Trade Federation Starfighter Journal.  What a nerd.  I chose a green Paper Mate Profile pen, mostly because I was thinking “golf green,” but it’s more “lime green” than “golf course green.”  Ah well.  I am going now.  A pen color won’t stop me.
    I had a couple of headaches today, but Advil relieved the pain.  Putting thoughts to pen to paper is soothing and helpful, too, though.
    I’m tired. Belinda and I have worked out and eaten healthily for three weeks now, so I should feel great, but not today.  I need sleep, rest, a vacation...something.  I will go to bed early tonight and do a double workout tomorrow to get caught up.
    I’m writing because...

I earned four birdies when I played with Cameron on Saturday.  I can transfer this into my golf journal (which I am doing at this moment) and my blog after Screen-Free Week is over.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #1-Birdie #11 of 2013


    Cameron’s drive was on the left side of the fairway at about 150 yards out.  Mine was just off the fairway and about ten yards ahead of his.  His approach put his ball below the hole and only twelve feet away or so for an eagle.  My 8-iron approach missed the green right.
    I’m trying something new.  I’ve recorded myself reading from Dr. Bob Rotella’s newest book The Unstoppable Golfer.  It’s a meditation that I’ve adapted a bit to fit my game and me better.  Anyway, it repeats this theme of just enjoying the process of simply seeing the shot and swinging it or seeing the putt and just rolling it.  So, I’m using it.  I’ve done it before, but I’m doing it more now and in a different way.
    Before, I would pick the smallest targets I could and try to hit them, but now I’m seeing the ball flights of full swings and the lines of the putts more.
    I picture my chip landing, breaking left and going in, but it doesn’t.  It’s long. 
    I’ve come up with a new saying to help me accept the results of all of my shots.  It goes like this, “If it doesn’t match, it doesn’t matter.”
    Cameron just misses his eagle putt on the right side.  I see my putt breaking right, going downhill and falling into the hole.  I see it, and I roll it.  It breaks right, it goes downhill, and it falls in.  Cameron is ecstatic!  I’m surprised, even though I had visualized it going in.  It didn’t feel or look like it would go in when it left my putter.  That’s okay, though.  If it doesn’t match, it doesn’t matter.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #7-Birdie #12 of 2013

    I have a fine drive past the tree, but it's on the left side of the fairway. The ground is still hard and brown over there despite most of the course’s greener, “springy” look.
    My lay-up puts my ball just past the 100 yard bush, but the ball is a tad below my feet.  I spread my feet apart a little wider and focus on maintaining my spine angle as I swing my Approach wedge.  It works.  I’m on the green, but my ball is towards the back right side and the hole is cut middle left this time.  I had this similar putt before, and I left it well short.  This time it catches the right edge and falls in sideways.  Cameron thought it was going too fast.  I thought (after it left my putter, of course) that it wouldn’t make it.  I’m more shocked that this one fell than I was when the one on #1 did.  Good thing my next two birdies were tap-ins.

No comments: