Friday, May 31, 2013

50 Year Anniversary, Hawaii, and My Eagle Has Landed

    Lots of news to report.  First, tomorrow is my parents’ official 50th wedding anniversary.  They are heading up to Estes Park to celebrate tomorrow afternoon.   They are leaving behind a living room filled with pictures scattered about, with only their two recliners available for sitting.  Their goal with the pictures is to select the best ones for a slideshow that my brother will be putting together.  I believe they are doing their best to find an equal number of pictures from birth to present day of each of us three children.  Belinda and I were fortunate to have a FaceTime chat with them tonight. The ever-growing anniversary party weekend is coming up on the weekend of the 22nd, and we are all very much looking forward to it.
    Second, our children are in Hawaii with the Edgertons for Kyle’s senior trip; they arrived there yesterday.  Belinda and I are making the most of our time here, although she did sob a bit right after they drove away.  Then she took a long walk alone.  It was not because she wanted to go to Hawaii; it was more because...

we have had so many adventures together as a group of eight.  We’ve gone to Lake Powell, the cabin, camping, and on a Mexican cruise together.  We have also raised our children together, so it feels empty to stay here while they are away, but of course we are happy for them, and we are keeping in touch via texts, e-mails, and phone calls.  That has helped.
    Cameron and I played together in the Memorial Day Marathon.  We did not place, but we played respectably.  Bruce and C.J. played with us, so that helped make the day better.  They played very well.  C.J. went birdie, birdie on holes #15 and #16 in the Best Ball portion.  The birdie on #16 gave them a net one on their scorecard.  Bruce went eagle, birdie on holes #9 and #10.  The eagle came during the Scramble part, but Bruce made all of those shots, and his birdie was part of the Best Ball.
    I earned an eagle, a real eagle!

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #14-Eagle #1 of 2013

    This eagle took place during the total score part.  I teed off with my driver, and it was a lousy drive.  It went left, and it was not very long.  My ball ended up on hole #7’s fairway way over on the left side, and I still had well over 200 yards to go. 
    When I was ready to play my approach, the city manager and his family were driving their carts away on #7.  I actually stopped myself mid-trigger because one of his daughters screamed/squealed for some unknown reason.  After rebooting, I made my best swing of the day with my utility club, the one I bought from Bruce.  It flew over the trees, heading straight for the green and the flag.  After arriving at the green, we saw one ball had managed to stay on the top portion where the flag was.  It was mine.  My putt was between 15 and 20 feet and below the hole.  It was a straight putt and I played it that way.  It went in with some speed, but not too much to lip out.  Bruce and C.J. paid me their $5.00 before the day was over.  I told Bruce that he didn’t have to pay me because he had bought my lunch recently, but he said I could owe him for that later. 

    I also made a long birdie putt on hole #6, but that was about it.  It was not a good day for Cameron or me, but I was happy for Bruce and C.J.  They nearly made their entry fee back, shy just $10.00.

No comments: