Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I Love My Cart Babe

                My Cart Babe/Wife, Belinda

Written on 6-4-13.
       
    Belinda and I are entertaining ourselves (as inexpensively as we can) while the children are away.  We are doing a retirement preview.  It was Belinda’s idea to "one-up" each other with activities that would be both fun and frugal.  I started last week on Thursday.  I know Belinda enjoys having her tiles scrubbed, so I offered to scrub the tiles with her in the dining room, the kitchen, and the laundry room.  I even threw in cleaning underneath the refrigerator, the stove, and the washer and drier. 
    The stove was the most fascinating.  We had not cleaned under there since...

we first moved in some fifteen years ago.  We discovered rubber balls, one large marble and one small marble (both cat’s eyes), a golf ball, a measuring cup, dust, dirt, rusty spots under the legs, the top of a broken bottle, and a ten-sided die from one of James’s games.  After all the scrubbing and cleaning, we played Sequence together for the second part of my first idea. 
    On Friday, B’s first idea was to work together to wash and wax one of the vehicles (we chose the truck), one of my favorite things to do when school gets out and summer begins.  She also chose to love me by being my cart girl/babe.  Yes, Belinda, my wife, came along to watch me play golf.  I played the front nine while she either rode in, or drove the cart.  She would get out on some holes to hold the flag or my sand wedge while I putted.  She even did some putting on the practice green and on hole #1. 
    I shot a 44 that consisted of seven 5s, a 6, and a 3.  Not what I was hoping for with this opportunity to show off for my wife, but I did my best, and it was fabulous to have my favorite person and best friend in the world, my beautiful wife Belinda coming along to play my beloved sport.
    We were going to take a break from all the "one-upping" on the weekend, but we ended up doing two things on Saturday, one for me and one for her, that were both wonderful.  I had been invited to a former student’s dance recital, so we went to the Henderson Fine Arts Center at San Juan College in the afternoon for the show.  We got to see some other former students, the dancing was quite entertaining, and the two hours went by as fast as I can drink a delicious cup of iced coffee.
    That evening, Belinda invited over two of our closest friends, Ben and Dixie (last name).  We had snacks, enlightening conversations, and some more exciting Sequence games.  We stayed up later than we usually do, but it was worth it. 
    Yesterday, it was my turn again.  I borrowed Dale’s projector, and we watched a movie outside on our back deck.  I let her choose the movie, and she chose Hope Floats.  We cuddled in a blanket and a comforter on our hammock with plenty of pillows for comfort and coziness.  It was a snuggly, enjoyable experience to watch a movie outdoors under the stars; it reminded me of going to the drive-in movie theaters of years ago, but with a better view and no issues with silver speaker boxes that either wouldn't work or sounded too "tinny."  We both were impressed again by the performance of a younger Mae Whitman who now plays Amber on our family’s favorite television show, Parenthood.
    And now it’s Tuesday, and it’s B’s turn again, and that is the reason I am writing this.  She chose to bring us to Durango to have dinner (make our own salads at the south City Market), and then go hang out at the park next to the river and the train tracks behind north City Market.  That park was one of our favorite places to go study when we were study-buddies at Fort Lewis.  We finished waxing the van after dinner, and then I did a little practice pitching, chipping and flopping with my sand wedge while she read her new book from amazon.com.  Now, since it is just beginning to get cold, I am finishing my up writing.  Ah, life is good.  Summer is good.  Having a cart babe to hang with makes it all the more enjoyable. 

Until next time...

No comments: