Saturday, June 15, 2013

Beckoned (and Blessed) to Be Back to the Bisti

Written on 6-13-13.

    I am sitting alone in the Cultural Center at San Juan College.  It’s lunchtime, and everyone else has left me here with my thoughts and my laptop.  I am a returning fellow for this summer’s Bisti Writing Project, invited back after a bit of a hiatus.  Two years ago at about this time, I was having problems with headaches and getting sick.  Then my co-director leadership was sliced in half after a fateful MRI that put everything on hold.
    It’s been a fabulous return.  I was a bit nervous.  I have some terrible memories, of course, (wonkiness, pain, vomiting, etc.), and it was no fault of the Writing Project; it was just the timing of it all.  I so enjoy the Bisti Writing Project; it’s a family where I feel honored to be a member. 
    The new fellows are...

amazing, a super group of dedicated educator artists.  I sat in awe while listening to their thoughts, professional attitudes, and of course, their writing. 
    The veteran fellows have helped me feel right at home.  I gained that sense of belonging again  immediately due to their kindness and inclusiveness.  Thank you Vicki, Sarah, Melissa, Stephen and Frances.  It’s great to be back, and I look forward to our future endeavors.
    This morning, we were treated to a “demo” with children’s book author Uma Krishnaswami.  She signed my copy of The Grand Plan to Fix Everything.  I told her I would have had her sign it earlier, but a brain tumor got in our way.  Her demo was intellectually stimulating, but her lessons were always that way when I took writing classes with her years ago.  I am constantly in awe of her skills, and I hope she isn’t freaking out when I stare and listen so intently.  She has had a positive influence on me as a writer.
    My big takeaway from her lesson today was that the reader does not care one bit about the writer’s connection to the material (something I intuitively knew, but she brought it to the surface), although she did pack in many other precious blossoms of wisdom in a blur of two hours.  I asked the group to give me their best writing tips as a part of the writing prompt on Tuesday.  Her piece of advice to writers is this: If you get stuck, go READ!  Great advice.  The best writers are also the most avid readers, something I could work on.

No comments: