Thursday, June 20, 2013

Father's Day and a New Chipping, Pitching Style

Written on 6-16-14.

    What a fantastic Father’s Day weekend!  I am watching the end of the U.S. Open, and I got to play golf this morning with C.J.  Looks like Justin Rose will be our winner this year, but Phil and Hunter are still playing. 
    I have two birdies to record, and I just broke 80 again today after a stretch of not so great golf.  Also, my family and I had a most enjoyable evening out on Friday where we saw a matinee of the newest Superman movie, Man of Steel.  After the movie, we got some errands done and browsed at Hasting’s where I found a Mike + the Mechanics CD I had been trying to find for a while.  It has one of my favorite songs on there titled Hanging by a Thread.
    *Can Phil Mickelson...

birdie the last hole, a hole where nobody has earned a birdie yet, to force a play-off?  Not likely, but I am hoping.  I would be thrilled if Phil wins simply because he has been a runner-up at the U.S. Open a record five times.  It’s looking like it will be a record six times now.  Great win for Justin Rose, though, if his score holds.  Very deserving.
    These are my two most recent birdies:

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #16-Birdie #15 of 2013

    Last weekend, C.J. and I played alone.  When we got to #16, I was playing better than I had on the front.  I shot a 48 on the front, and so did C.J.  I had a great up and down on the tough #12 for a par, and this birdie also helped me shoot a 39.
    I used my pitching wedge, and the flag was up front on the left side.  The line of my shot was right at the flag.  It ended up being just short, five to six feet away.  The putt was slightly downhill and a tad right to left.  I had a very confident feeling I would make that putt, and I did. 
   
    The game we were playing was Beat the Bogey Man.  We set our goal at +6 for the round, but the Bogey Man laughed at us for even trying on the front nine (on the front alone, we had already slopped our way to a best ball score of +7), but we tied him on the back at our new goal of +3 (after we decided to start over, of course).

Written on 6-17-13.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #18-Birdie #15 of 2013

    Bruce, Reilly and I played this past Tuesday afternoon.  I had discovered something about my chipping and pitching at the park in Durango when Belinda and I had our date there.  I found out that I am much more consistent when I open up my stance.  This open stance gives me more confidence on my follow-through, and I hit down on the ball a bit more than I usually do this way.  I open up my stance so much that my feet feel like they are nearly facing the target, and I can follow through with my arms swinging away from my body better.  I just swing back and through with a downward motion, and my distance control is right on; I nearly hit some of the small targets like leaves and sticks while at the park.  I took this new stroke and confidence to the course, and it helped with this birdie.
    I used my driver to go for #3’s fairway, and it actually worked.  I was on the fairway over there, and I had a clear shot to go for the green in two, but the lie was a tad downhill, and my 8-iron swing was a bit chunky.  It didn’t fly as far as I wanted, but I was just a pitch away from the hole. 
    Bruce and I were both over there.  His pitch ended up going long, but my new little open stance chip popped the ball up nicely, and then it rolled to just a few feet away.  It was a swell shot.  I finished up for this birdie, and this final score helped me tie Bruce’s total score.  We both shot an 83 with identical scores on both nines: 45, 38.  It was not a good front nine for either of us, but we both cleaned up on the back nicely.

No comments: