Saturday, May 25, 2013

School's Out for Summer!

5-25-13

    School’s out for summer again.  I cried on the last day...again.  I get so attached to those children every year, even though it was for only one year this time, and not two when I have "looped" in the past.  I am sitting out on our front porch/”Haven,” and I see the new mama bird that has taken over the nest that is at the top of one of our white adobe columns just underneath the ceiling out here.  Last year, the bird that originally made that nest was killed by our cat Pikachu, who delivered part of the bloody body to our front step.  Gross.  I hope this one makes it, but I’ve already nicknamed it D.B. for Dead Bird.
    I just finished a pleasant conversation with our neighbor John.  I told him about the kids heading to...

Hawaii this Wednesday for Kyle’s senior trip.  Kyle wants to see Pearl Harbor, and the Edgertons told their kids they could invite one friend each.  They chose our children; how kind and sweet.   Those cousins have always been more like siblings, though.  Belinda and I will stay here at home, doing our best to “one-up” each other for great nights of cheap entertainment.  I’m pondering the purchase of a Hawaii poster to have dinner by, similar to that rainy scene from “It’s a Wonderful Life” in that drafty, old house. 
    It will be fantastic to just have some time with my wife.  We go, go, go so much during the school year, so it’s a relief to stop, stop, stop when summer comes.  Sometimes we go without stopping for so long, working for so many hours on the weekends that I can sense my “new” brain needing a rest, but it never gets one.  Now, I have one.  My brain can rest.
    On to golf.  Sadly, no birdies to record, but I had a new thought about why I have this journal and this blog about my birdies.  A birdie or an eagle is a glimpse of what I am capable of doing.  It’s an example of the possibility of greatness that is within me, or within anyone who plays golf.  I don’t write about these birdies to brag.  I have plenty of holes where I’ve blown it, had an incredibly high score with many strokes, including when I played today with Cameron and C.J.  Those are best forgotten if I want to continue my improvement, though.  Now that I’ve written that idea down, however, it does not sound as impressive as when I first thought about it.  Oh well.
    Bruce and I played in our final Best Ball Thursday night thing on May 9th.  Bruce e-mailed me later to let me know he was done.  He was tired of the cussing, the smoking, the rude behavior, etc.  I agree.  That’s not golf and that’s no fun either.
    We played with Sean (not his real name) that day.  Bruce had played with him before, but he didn’t play well at all those other times.  This time, he played really well, at least until hole #7 where Bruce and I were both surprised that he told us an inappropriate joke during his tee shot routine, where he consequently swung his ball right over the fence.  He ended up getting a double. 
    Bruce had made a comment/joke on hole #6, but it was not meant to disturb or disrupt Sean; it just came out.  It’s “the” line from the television show The Office, so any fan who watches that show probably knows what Bruce said. 
    After messing up on that hole, Sean then got a bogey and ending up tying Bruce’s and my combined best ball score of a 34.  I had four pars that helped our score, but we were not anywhere close to earning a place or some prize money this time.

No comments: