Saturday, October 12, 2013

Club Championship Weekend-Part 1

Written on 10-10-13.

    Yes, I am on a bus again.  This time we are heading home after playing in Pagosa Springs.  Every team won tonight...except mine.  One of my players was hurt (she bruised her elbow badly during a drill), but we also just got beat; their JV was tough.  It’s on to districts next week, though, so a fresh start is coming our way.
    

On to golf...
   
    I played in the Club Championship this past weekend again.  I believe this is my second time ever.  I did fairly well, but I could have done better, just like my JV team tonight.  Despite the average play, I placed fairly high.  I took 5th place with my gross score and 6th place with my net score.  I earned three birdies, but I also had a couple of triples and one quadruple that I’d like to take back, but can’t.
    These are the birdie descriptions...



Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #1-Birdie #34 of 2013

    I was pretty pumped up, I admit.  I was playing with Greg (last name), Terry (last name) and a guy I had seen before, but had never met.  His name was Daniel (not his real name).  Terry had won before as the President’s Champ (low net score).  I’ve mentioned him before.  He’s the one they all called a Sandbagger after winning with the low net score.  On the scorecard, we all had the letter C next to our names, but he had an I.  None of us knew what it meant.  I jokingly told him it meant, “Champ, champ, champ, idiot.”
    He laughed.  I later found out it meant that the three of us were in the Championship Flight, but he was in the First Flight.  The “I” was really a #1.
    I started well on both days, earning a birdie both times.  For this first one, I drove it past the tree on the right side and in the fairway.  It was mostly adrenaline.  The 9-iron got the call and for once I didn’t push it.  Maybe it was because I was approaching from the right side to change the angle.  I was just off the green on the front right side and that’s the side where the flag was, too.  I putted from off the green, and my ball settled just to the left of the hole.  I started off with a birdie, but it was the last one that day (actually, I just remembered another one on #18, so I had four birdies, not three). 

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #1-Birdie #35 of 2013

    On the second day, I was fortunate to get to play with Greg again.  We really had a great time together.  We get along so well. I beat him on day one with my 87 to his 90.  He faltered at the end of the first round, but he played so much better on the second day.  He shot an 80 to my 88 on day two, beating me by a total of five strokes overall.  Either way, I was glad to play with him and ride with him.  Such pleasant company.  Very encouraging and polite.  No smoking or cussing.
    My drive went way right on day two on the first hole.  It was even in the rough off of the fairway on hole #5...on the right side.  It would have been out of bounds for sure if I were playing holes #5 or #7.  From over there, though, I ended up on the green in two with one of my best swings of the tournament with my utility club.  I was on in two, but I also had to putt it from the front right side over to the front left side, at least 60 feet or more away.  My ball stopped very close to the hole, though, and I ended up with a near tap-in for the birdie again.

No comments: