Saturday, October 26, 2013

Club Championship Weekend-Part 2

     I have soooo missed my computer.  My laptop had a little spilled milk problem (I did not cry, though) on a Monday to end all Mondays (not really), so I have not posted here since that happened.  Thankfully, all's well that ends well.  It just needed a cleaning and $90.00 later here it is on my lap again.
    Today our/my JV team won the JV tournament!  I am so proud.  They played so well.  Sadly, the only other teams that showed up all came from Piedra Vista.  But, we still won.  Anna said that since it was only the Tigers vs. the Panthers it should be called the "Cat Fight" in the future.  I like that.
    We have only two matches left in our regular season.  It's Kirtland away on Tuesday and then our final match at home against P.V. again on Halloween night.  Spooky!
    What follows are the other two birdie descriptions and some more information about the Club Championship this year...
Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #14-Birdie #36 of 2013

    At this point in the tournament, I was doing my best to stay in the present and finish strong.  I had two terrible front nine scores on both days, two 47s, but I felt confident on the back on both days, too.  I shot a 40 on day one and a 41 on day two.  This birdie helped. 
    My drive was huge and on the fairway.  I chose 9-iron for my approach.  The manager from the Three-Rivers Eatery in Farmington that we played with on this day said that my ball ended up just on the fringe.  It was a quick right to left putt from off the green that put my ball near the hole again for a third tournament birdie.  The hole was on the top right side, more towards the front on day two.

    Overall, I was pleased with my effort.  I am teaching and coaching full-time, so my golf game matched how much I’ve been playing. 
    My best stretch of holes came on day one on the back nine, starting at hole #13.  I was even after playing six holes, which reminds me of another birdie I earned.  I actually had four birdies in this tournament, so here is the fourth and final description...

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #18-Birdie #37 of 2013


    I was aiming for #3, but my ball ended up fading over to #1 again.  I was in a good position over there, but I chose my 7-iron instead of my 8-iron to keep from hitting some dead overhead branches on one of the trees on the left side.  My ball came out cleanly, so it did fly under that tree, and over the next one, but it hit just off the green and then it either rolled or bounced off the back on the left side. 
    The pin was cut on the left side, but it was closer to the front than the back, and I was left with a delicate chip that could end up off the green if I overplayed it, or if I skulled it.  I did have some really well executed chips with my newer, wide open stance during this tournament and this was definitely one of them.  My ball popped up, hit just on the green and then started to roll.  When it stopped, I had another tap-in, or near tap-in for my second birdie on day one.  I started and ended with birdies on the first day.

No comments: