Sunday, January 19, 2014

Starting the Year Right With Three Birdies in Nine Holes

Written on 1-13-14    

    I shot an 80 on this round, a 41 on the front and a 39 on the back.  I  thought it was interesting that the first three birdies I earned this year were on a par 3, a par 4, and a par 5, just not in that order. 

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #11-Birdie #1 of 2014

    As I stated earlier, I played on alone after Bruce and C.J. went home after nine.  I started with a bogey on #10, but I got it right back on this hole.  I aimed my tee shot over one of the cottonwoods on the right side past the ditch, but my golf ball flew low, left, and long instead.  With the harder, drier ground it ran right through the fairway, past the cart path for #9 and ended up in the harsher ground off #9’s fairway.  I chose my A-wedge for the approach.  The pin was on the back, so my goal was to have my ball hit the top of the green and roll down to the back.  It did!  I had only four feet left, and it was slightly downhill, and it broke a wee bit to the right.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #14-Birdie #2 of 2014


    I did not do so well after that first birdie of 2014.  I followed it up with two double bogeys, so it was great to get another birdie and get back on track.  The drive was an “alley” drive.  Once again, with the harder ground my ball actually ended up on the right side of the fairway.  It was far, too.  It was 150 yards out.  I chose the 9-iron, but it was a bad choice.  I put a smooth swing on it, and I had pure contact, but it ended up short and right.  Of course, I wanted my ball to land up on the top and farther left, so it would roll down into the toilet bowl and go in the hole for my first ever double eagle.  Nope, didn’t happen. 
    I did my new open stance chip shot, and this was the best shot.  The ball popped up nicely, landed just off the green, and rolled slowly into the bowl.  It turned right like it’s supposed to, but it stopped short of where I wanted.  I had a putt of about ten feet this time.  It trickled in for another birdie on the hole I birdie the most. 


Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #16-Birdie #3 of 2014

    This round was getting better.  I had two birdies in my pocket.  I had just gotten a par.  Things were looking up.  Then it improved.  I expect to get a birdie on #18, not this one.  Here’s how it happened.  The pitching wedge got the call even with the flag on the back (another reason why this birdie was so special).  It headed left of the green, so I hoped it would kick right, and then it did.  I saw it roll towards the back of the green, but I did not know it had ended up off the back until I walked over there.
    I brought my wedge and my putter, not sure which one I would use.  The grass was so crusty, so I chose the putter.  Great choice.  My ball rolled onto the green, turned right and quietly fell into the hole.  It shocked me.  I whooped.  A birdie on this hole, with the hole cut in the back?  Awesome!

No comments: