Monday, January 27, 2014

A Miraculous Recovery After a Discovery

Written on 1-25-14.

    One of the best and most wonderful things in my life happened today.  I was at Eric’s Big-O Tire, hanging out in the waiting room while our GMC truck was getting lubed across the street at the new Big-O Quick Lube, working on the official birdie and eagle count when I hit a huge roadblock, coming to a dead end at the close of Golf Diary-Part 3 and the beginning of Golf Diary-Part 4. 
    Part 3 ended in May of 2004, and Part 4 started at the end of 2005.  I was missing over a year and a half somewhere, everything from May of 2004 and the entire year of 2005!  It made no sense to me; I was certain I had continued one right after the other, but somehow a huge chunk was missing. 
    I went home, scrambling to find it.  I turned on the Mac Mini and hooked up the external hard drive.  I opened them up from there and got the same result.  Then I remembered...

I had printed out the beginning parts of my journal years ago and had stored them away neatly in our computer room closet.  Sure enough, I found the printed versions of Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4. 
    Thankfully and miraculously, the rest of Part 3 was still there, the entire section that was missing. 
    I remember writing in a later Golf Diary that I knew I was missing out on some important parts of my journey, specifically a section I had written about our family’s trip to Zion National Park.  Yet, there it was...and so much more.  Today, I have found a missing piece of our family’s history and my golf journey (a piece I didn’t even know was really gone until now) that would have been lost forever had I not somehow printed it out nearly a decade ago.  Phew!     
    Now the hard work of retyping it all begins.  I don’t care; it’s worth it.  Included are sacred Lake Powell and cabin stories, thirty or so birdies, and much, much more, approximately 250 pages worth.

No comments: