Wednesday, February 5, 2014

What a Difference Some Water Can Make

Now, for my three most recent birdies...

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #15-Birdie #4 of 2014

    On Martin Luther King Jr. Saturday, C.J., Bruce and I played escalating skins again at my suggestion.  After the beating I took playing C.J. last time with his chip-in on #10, I was hoping to make some money back.  C.J. And I both got embarrassed by Bruce, though, who took home enough money to pay for a new, small company.  Bruce shot a 78 after being one under on the back.  That back nine score included three birdies for him on #13, #17 and #18.  Geesh!  Nice shootin', Tex.
    My one birdie in this round was pretty straightforward, and it helped me take...

second place overall after losing the front nine completely to both of them.  It went 7-iron to the fairway, sand wedge to the green and a putt of about fifteen feet to the hole cut closer to the front left side.  I asked Bruce to move his mark one putterhead to the right just before putting, but mostly to get it out of my vision; it wasn’t really blocking my line.  This birdie helped me win $290,000.00, but Bruce quickly negated that by earning $270,000.00 on the very next hole. 

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #1-Birdie #5 of 2014

    On Martin Luther King Jr. Day itself, C.J. and I met and played another eighteen holes.  Bruce chose not to play, probably bored after shooting an under par score. Ho hum.  Just kidding.  I really don’t know why he couldn’t come along this time.
    I chose the game again.  C.J. and I both needed to work on our short game, so I chose something to help us focus on that aspect of the game.  The match on Saturday proved that our short games were struggling, especially with the rougher, drier conditions.  Bruce makes consistent contact more often, so the drier conditions affect him less.  That and his putting was incredible that day.
    For this game, winning a hole earned one point.  One-putts earned five points and double-putts earned four.  Getting up and down from off the green, though, earned three points.
    My drive ended up just off the fairway on the right side, just about even with the cottonwood.  I chose my 9-iron for my approach and aimed for the left side of the green this time, knowing that the hole was near the ridge, but on the bottom side of it on the left.  My ball ended up off the green on the left side, and I chose to putt from there.  That putt put my ball past the hole about two feet away and close to the ridge.   I started out the game with the most points either one of us could get on a hole, six.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #14-Birdie #6 of 2014

    This game did help me focus on my short game.  The memorable part of this hole was the guy who was watering the green when we were playing it, though.  I saw him heading onto the green with a big hose just before I made my approach, so just after my swing I shouted, “Fore!  Fore!” 
    I couldn’t see my ball or him, though, because we were behind the hill at about the 150 yard mark.  When we got up there, he said he thought my ball had hit his hose, which was a great thing because my ball was just off the back on the hill on the left side and above the hole.  I made a similar putt from over there two days ago, but with very different results.  My ball on that day rolled past the hole, stopping six to eight feet away, and I missed my birdie attempt.  This time, though, the guy had just watered the green.  Oh, what a difference some water makes.  My ball stopped less than a foot away this time for an easy tap-in.

No comments: