Tuesday, February 18, 2014

On This Given Sunday, Who Won?

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #14-Birdie #8 of 2014

    We all aimed for the fairway on #7 because the snow was abundant on #14’s fairway.  My ball headed towards the “alley,” though, so I knew it would end up in the snow.  Bruce’s was in the snow, too.  After taking my free drop, I had my best swing of the round with my 7-iron.  My ball ended up in the snow again, but this time it was stuck in the snow on the green on the north-facing side of the bowl.  When I picked it up, my ball looked like it had a small white tire wrapped around it after rolling around in the snow again.  I took another drop and used up two putts from a position I had never been in before due to the snow stopping the ball higher up on the slope.  Bruce got a birdie, too, so neither one of us earned the three points for winning the “birdie hole” outright, and the points for winning the hole pushed again.

    I tied Bruce again on #15 with a par.  C.J. and Bruce both should have earned pars on #16, but Bruce rolled his first putt a bit too far and missed the comebacker.  C.J. had a short uphill putt for par, but he missed that one right, so we all got bogeys and the points pushed again.
    It wasn’t until hole #17 that the dam broke.  I was out of it after my approach.  I was fortunate it even made it over the ditch.  My thinned 9-iron caused my ball to come out low and short, but it smacked on the cart path and limped over the ditch.  I missed my par putt after another pitch that made it onto the green, but in the snow again. 
    Bruce and C.J., however, had birdie putts forthcoming from the right side of the hole that was on the front and near the middle.  Bruce went first.  Short.  C.J. rolled his, and I was hoping he would miss so I could win it all on the next hole.  Nope.  That wasn't meant to be.  He rolled it right in, leaving no doubt who had won this match. 
    He made some comments heading over to the #9 teeing ground about not letting an opportunity get away and making sure that any of his competitors didn’t hang around.  Well, he did not let that opportunity get away, and he demolished his competitors with that one stroke.  I don’t know which one was better, C.J.’s chip-in for the win when we played Skins or this putt.  Both were fantastic!  Way to go, C.J. 

Until next time...

No comments: