Friday, February 28, 2014

Bev's Surprise Weekend-Part 2 or A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to...

    On Saturday morning, some of us played golf.  It would not have worked out had I not pushed for it, like I am known to do.  Dad wanted us to ride together in his van, but I wasn’t sure if I could bring my clubs along.  Would there be enough room with all of our suitcases?  I forced the issue, though, bringing not only my clubs but my push cart as well.  I got some looks from my mother and father on that one, but they allowed it.
    Guy, B, Danielle, Mom, Dad, and I crammed all of our stuff (and my golf equipment) in the back, and we were on our way.  We had a few humorous moments on the way out of town.  Dad forgot his cane.  He and Mom had made a bet about when we would arrive in the Springs.  She thought he was hedging the bet in his favor with a delay tactic.  Some of us said we would just buy him a new cane; let’s keep moving.  Some said we should let him go back and get it (we were less than two minutes from home).  He pulled over into a left turn lane to take a moment and decide.  He was persuaded to keep going, so he pulled out again. 
    I was on the fence.  At first I agreed that buying a new cane would be an ideal solution.  Then I reconsidered and thought what’s the harm in turning around; we weren’t on a tight schedule.  I told Dad what I was thinking, so he pulled into a left turn lane again farther down the road.  We debated and deliberated again, but Dad chose once more to keep going, yanking the van back out into traffic.  We all laughed.  I think the final deciding factor was Mom offering him her walking cane.  Was she hedging the bet in her favor this time?  Either way, it was quite entertaining and a super funny family bonding moment for all of us.

No comments: