Friday, March 7, 2014

One Lambert In, One Lambert Out?

Written on 3-6-14.

    I am home alone.  I was just checking on my blog, and I chose to check out other blogs with the handy-dandy “Next Blog” link up at the top.  A similar theme showed up immediately.  Every blog, and I can say every one, was not up to date.  Their most recent posts were between 2009 and 2012, but I couldn’t find one that was for this year, or even close.  Sad.  Didn’t see anything worth reading either, and not just because they had nothing recent.  Wow, that’s a mean thing I just said.  I said a mean thing.
    B and Danielle are home now.  We are watching The Talented Mr. Ripley after having had dinner.  I can feel my pain medication wearing off.  My farthest back tooth on my lower left side was extracted yesterday.  It went...

well...mostly.  He, my dentist, had to cut it in two, and then he “dug a trench” to get it to wiggle more easily.  The back half came out first, then the front, and two pieces ended up breaking off.  But, it’s done now.  I had a cracked tooth, but now I don’t.
    I earned another birdie while playing with family in Colorado Springs.  It ended up being a larger group than we had anticipated, but that made it all the better, sort of.  Guy, Curt, Daryl, Erica, Emily and Carter all came along.  The problem was we were a very slow group.  We started out together.  We had two tee times, but we decided to tee off all at once.  After hole #1 was over, though, it was obvious that it wasn’t going to work.  A group was already coming up on us on hole #2.  It took 45 minutes to play two holes.  Out of guilt, I called the pro shop to see if it was okay to stay together.  No, of course not, was the answer I received. 
    We chose to split up with Carter and Em going ahead of us.  That didn’t work out either.  At my insistence, we all ended up skipping hole #3 to get ahead of everyone again, but Curt kind of played it as we walked by.  Emily and Carter played ahead of the rest of us again.  I teed off with Emily and Carter on the fairway.  I actually aimed to the right of the fairway and hit my mark.  The ball rolled out onto the fairway towards Emily, but we all knew she was safe.  She saw it roll out, turned to look at it, and looked back at us.  Then she headed back to her cart.  Emily, bless her heart, was the most tenacious beginning golfer I have ever seen. 
    If she missed, she would set up again in a second.  Then she’d whiff once more, try again, set up, and give it yet another go.  This would happen over and over and over again, unless someone asked her to pick up, which she would do right away.
    On one hole, hole #11, she played the adjacent hole off to the right, hole #17, most of the way.  That was because she kept hitting the ball off the toe of her club causing it to go farther and farther to the right.   
    It wasn’t until hole #16, a par three, where all those swings and misses paid off with her first par...ever!  She swung an iron onto the green, and put her first putt close enough to finish it off from there.  It was great!
    When we returned home, Curt swore off golf forever.  He was done.  On the course, he admitted that he doesn’t practice enough to play as well as he wants, and he can’t afford it either.  Or rather he chooses to spend his money on other things.  So, one Lambert was just beginning to learn how to play golf and another was finished...maybe.

Here’s how I earned my one birdie...

Springs Ranch Golf Course-Hole #9-Birdie #9 of 2014

    Everyone had teed off before I did, because Carter and Emily were still within my range.  When I saw them drive away in their cart, I let it go, and it headed right for them, cutting the corner over the bunkers on the right.  Curt said this hole “spooned” with hole #1, and that’s a good description.  #1 doglegs left, and #9 doglegs right.  I shouted, “Fore! Fore!”
    Curt said there was no way I could hit it that far, but I assured him that I could.  When I got up to my ball, my drive had put my ball at just under 207 yards away.  This entire round, though, no tee markers were out, so we would just pick our own spots for teeing.  According to the scorecard, this hole is 546 yards from the Maroon tees, and that’s about where we were starting from, so my drive was approximately 340 yards.  See, I can drive it that far.
    From there, I chose my utility club, and I put my ball on the green in two on the far left side.  The hole was cut on the far right, though.  I marked my ball and moved it, because another hole was cut on the left side, and it was on my line.  My eagle putt stopped even with the hole on the left side, just behind the hole.  From there, I cleaned up for my first birdie ever on this golf course.

No comments: