Monday, March 17, 2014

The "New" Cabin and Five Lousy Swings

Written on 3-15-14.

    Well, this is cozy.  Belinda and I are up at the “new” cabin together.  The electricity is out, so we are sitting in the living room in about 80% darkness.  The  light percentage is coming from a small, handheld, solar flashlight clasped in Belinda’s right hand while she reads a library book she checked out today from the Aztec Library, and this laptop’s light, which is dimmed to the max to reserve battery power.
    We have moved in.  We made up A and E’s bed with their new skirt, mattress pad, and comforter, moved two large jugs of water downstairs for the plumbing (specifically toilet flushing), and checked out what is “our” bedroom downstairs and discussed what colors we might use to paint and when.  Life is good.

On to golf...

    I had a strange golf experience yesterday.  I joined...

Bruce, Reilly, and C.J. at around 4:00 on a Friday afternoon.    
    *Before I continue, I must add that it was great to see Reilly.  He had had difficulty maintaining weight the past few months, and he was getting skinny, too skinny, I’d heard.  The remedy was a feeding system that filled him up at night while he slept.  The great part is that he’s gained thirty pounds and is doing incredibly well now...or at least better.  He has more energy, and this was his second outing to play golf with his dad. 
    So, C.J. and I took on the father-son team in match play.  The golf experience was strange because I had such an up and down adventure.  This journal is all about the better or best memories of when I play, but it doesn’t always go smoothly.  Ask any golfer.  So, to sum up the ugly part quickly, five of my golf balls went out of bounds.  Yes, five.  One on #5, two on #8 and two more on #9.  Thankfully, I was able to recover all of them except for the two on #8.  That’s bad.  All of them were straight pushes, except for the shank with my pitching wedge on #5. 
    I didn’t panic, though.  I just kept teeing up ball after ball, which became a little tedious the fifth and final time, but that’s the way it goes in golf sometimes.  My playing partners were so patient.  C.J. joked, however, after I finally yanked one over to #17’s fairway from the #9 teeing ground, “That one...is in play.”
    Enough with the bad.  It all became worthwhile after the match was over.  During the match, I helped our team out with the only par on our first hole, hole #4, to go one up right from the start.  While I was swinging ball after ball over the fences or out of play, C.J. kept us in the game throughout the middle of the match, tying hole after hole with Bruce, or with both of them, to keep things even.      

    Bruce made a birdie on #5, though, to go one up for their team.  We decided to play through to #11.  Being one down with only two holes to play, I found my swing again and was the only one to earn a par to help us get back to even once more.  Then Bruce, C.J., and I all earned pars on the final hole to keep it that way and end the match.  It was a fine, fun match despite my five lousy swings.

No comments: