Sunday, March 30, 2014

Spring Break Musings at a "Cabin Home"

Written on 3-27-14.

    Happy spring break to us!  Belinda and I drove up to the newer cabin for our second trip up here alone.  I’m sitting on a fawn-colored and weathered, leather couch that the Edgertons recently bought from two teacher friends of ours.  They were hired just a month or so ago to work overseas at an American school in Egypt, so they were/are liquidating all of their stuff.  They will start their new adventure this fall.   
    Previously, they had worked for five years at an American school in the U.A.E.  The timing of this purchase was serendipitous as the Edgertons were in need of some new furniture for the cabin.  Not sure why I am still calling it just a cabin, though.  It’s a home, a two-story home with a two-car garage.  They also purchased their patio furniture and a king-sized bed set that they are using at their original cabin home back in Aztec rather than up here, but that’s because they had already bought three new beds at Sears.  Now, they’ve placed their old king-sized bed in what I am calling the babies‘ room downstairs.  Amazing how this has all worked out, really.
    And, it’s all...

fantastic.  We are so fortunate and blessed to be a part of it at all.  Thank you, Edgertons, for including us.  We’re helping out as much as we can, and we are thankful for the use of it.  Amanda was upset when talking to B on the phone this morning.  They own the cabin, but she hasn’t been able to come up here and use it as much as others have (like us).  The four children were up here with some of their friends to spend two nights this past weekend, but A and E had to leave after supervising the younger backs in the placement of all the new furniture.  The kids even hinted and teased that they should leave, saying things like, “When are you leaving?” and “Heard a storm’s brewing; better get on the road.”  Poor Amanda.
    As I sit and type this time, B is reading a Harlan Coben book on the aforementioned couch, her legs outstretched under a blanket, her feet tucked neatly under my right arm.  My view includes snow-covered ground, lightly frosted pines, and silver-gray skies.  I can see this view through seven of the eight tall rectangular windows (one door window included) on the living room/dining room side of the “cabin home.”  Ah, life is good.

On to golf...

    Bruce has whipped up on me the last few times we’ve played.  It’s a good thing I’m a confident guy.  We played skins one of those times.  I didn’t get skunked on the front, but C.J. took second place, earning more money than I did before he left.  That was his birthday golf outing.  He played until he reached his age, and it took him until hole #13.  He’s 68 now.  Wow, C.J. is 68!  He does not look or act like 68.  I hope to be as active and healthy as he is when I am his age. 
    I proceeded to get skunked on the back, though.  I continue to be impressed with Bruce’s play.  I don’t think that will ever get old.  I remember Rotella saying that extraordinary golfers are ordinary people doing extraordinary things.  Well, that’s Bruce.  He is an ordinary guy who does extraordinary things every time he tees it up. 
    When we played last, he won the match play game that he chose.  It included pops to make things a little more fair, but it made no difference.  I managed to win only two of the holes on the front nine to Bruce’s four.  C.J. got skunked this time, but he is struggling with his swing and with his putting on these incredibly difficult greens.  They are dry, crusty, and in some places ruined, looking more like the terrain on a distant planet than a putting surface here on earth.  When he and I played six holes yesterday before a gusty, dusty storm, he had a pull that kept creeping into his swing patterns, so he said, “It’s time for a tune-up.”
    After C.J. left on hole #11, Bruce and I played on, and I was hoping I could catch him.  What a comeback that would have been.  I was down four holes, though, because he had already won the first two on the back.  It wasn’t meant to be.  He won the next hole, so it was over.  Just like that.
    He suggested a new game, so we played a new game, the Reverse Handicap Game with a twist.  The twist was that the loser of the hole would get a pop on the following hole to keep things interesting.  More on that next time...

No comments: